Perinatal Taurine Alters Arterial Pressure Control and Renal Function in Adult Offspring
The present study investigates the effect of perinatal taurine exposure on renal function in adult, female rats on a high sugar diet. Perinatal taurine depleted (TD), supplemented (TS) or untreated control (C) female offspring were fed normal rat chow and tap water (CW,TDW or TSW) or tap water with 5% glucose (CG, TDG or TSG) after weaning. At 7–8 weeks of age, renal function was studied in the conscious, restrained rats. Mean arterial pressure was significantly higher in TDW, TDG, and TSG rats. Plasma sodium concentration was significantly lower in all glucose treated animals, but the greatest decrease was in TDW rats. Basal renal blood flow was lowest in TSW and TSG, and the responses to a saline load were also lowest in those two groups. These changes were consistent with increased renal vascular resistance. The basal glomerular filtration rate was lowest in TSW, but the responses to a saline load were similar in all of the groups. Water excretion was lower in TSG and TSW, consistent with increased renal tubular water reabsorption. These data suggest that perinatal taurine exposure alters normal renal function and renal responses to dietary sugar in adult female offspring.
KeywordsAdult Offspring Renal Vascular Resistance Taurine Supplementation Nephron Number Plasma Sodium Concentration
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Gopalakrishnan GS, Gardner DS, Dandrea J, Langley-Evans SC, Pearce S, Kurlak LO, Walker RM, Seetho IW, Keisler DH, Ramsay MM, Stephenson T, Symonds ME (2005) Influence of maternal pre-pregnancy body composition and diet during early-mid pregnancy on cardiovascular function and nephron number in juvenile sheep. Br J Nutr 94:938–947PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Roysommuti S, Malila P, Jirakulsomchok D, Jirakulsomchok S, Wyss JM (2004) Perinatal taurine status influences renal hemodynamics in adult conscious rats. FASEB J 18 (4 Part I): A292–A293Google Scholar
- Roysommuti S, Suvanich A, Jirakulsomchok D, Wyss JM (2007) Perinatal taurine depletion causes autonomic dysregulation in rats on a high glucose diet. FASEB J 21 (6 Part II):A887Google Scholar
- Suvanich A, Jirakulsomchok D, Muchimapura S, Wyss JM, Roysommuti S (2006) Perinatal taurine depletion impairs autonomic control in conscious rats. FASEB J 20 (5 Part II):A1406–A1407Google Scholar
- Tenner TE Jr, Zhang XJ, Lombardini JB (2003) Hypoglycemic effects of taurine in the alloxan-treated rabbit, a model for type 1 diabetes. Adv Exp Med Biol 526:97–104Google Scholar