Minority Mental Health and Wellness: A Perspective from Health Care Systems
Disparities in the use of mental health services and outcomes by ethnic and/or minority status have been well documented. Recent efforts by health care systems in developed countries have aimed at enhancing cultural and linguistic competence to better address the mental health needs of growing ethnic and minority populations. This chapter presents a brief overview of the disparities in mental health service use; describes a framework discussing barriers to access and utilize mental health services in this population; and presents the recommendations offered by the Office of Minority Health with respect to the provision of culturally and linguistically sensitive health services, as it discusses their relevance in addressing each of the barriers.
In the past several decades, developed countries witnessed a great influx of immigrants, creating a significant level of diversity in the population and an increasing representation of ethnic and minority individuals. According to...
KeywordsMental Health Mental Health Service Mental Health Care Cultural Competence Mental Health Provider
- Barker, P. R., Epstein, J. F., Hourani, L. L., Gfroerer, J., Clinton-Sherrod, A. M., West, N., et al. (2004). Patterns of mental health services utilization among adults, 2000 and 2001. Department of Health and Human Services, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, Office of Applied Studies. Last accessed March 9, 2008; Available at http://www.oas.samhsa.gov/mhtx/PDFW/2 k-2k1mentalhealthW.pdf
- Bernabei, R., Gambassi, G., Lapane, K., Landi, F., Gatsonis, C., Dunlop, R.,et al. (1998). Management of pain in elderly patients with cancer. SAGE Study Group. Systematic assessment of geriatric drug use via epidemiology. Journal of the American Medical Association, 279(23), 1877–1882.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2004). Self-reported frequent mental distress among adults – United States, 1993–2001. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, 53(41), 963–966.Google Scholar
- Dobalian, A., & Rivers, P. A. (2008). Racial and ethnic disparities in the use of mental health services. Journal of Behavioral Health Services Research, 35(2): 128–141.Google Scholar
- Dovidio, J. F., Brigham, J. C., Johnson, B. T., & Gaertner, S. L. (1996). Stereotyping, prejudice, and discrimination: Another look. In N. Macrae, C. Stangor, & M. Hewstone (Eds.), Stereotypes and stereotyping. New York: Guilford.Google Scholar
- Hinton, D. E., Pich, V., & Pollack, M. H. (2005). Panic attacks in traumatized Southeast Asian refugees. Mechanisms and treatment implications. In A. M. Georgiopoulos & J. F. Rosenbaum (Eds.), Perspective in cross-cultural psychiatry (pp. 37–62). Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.Google Scholar
- Institute of Medicine (2003). Unequal treatment. Confronting racial and ethnic disparities in health care. Washington, D.C. The National Academies Press.Google Scholar
- Kirmayer, L. J., Groleau, D., Guzder, J., Blake, C., & Jarvis, E. (2003). Cultural consultation: A model of mental health service for multicultural societies. Canadian Journal of Psychiatry, 48(3), 145–153.Google Scholar
- Koranyi, E.K. (1979). Morbidity and rate of undiagnosed physical illnesses in a psychiatric clinic population. Archives of General Psychiatry; 36: 414–419.Google Scholar
- Passel, J. S., & Cohn, D. (2008). U.S. population projections: 2005–2050. Washington, DC: Pew Research Center, Social & Demographic Trends. Last accessed April 7, 2008; Available at http://pewhispanic.org/files/reports/85.pdf
- Pear, R. (2008). House Approves Bill on Mental Health Parity. The New York Times. Last accessed April 9, 2008; Available at .http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/06/washington/06health.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=mental+health+parity&st=nyt&oref=slogin
- Puebla Fortier, J., Convissor, R., & Pacheco, G. (1999). Assuring cultural competence in health care: Recommendations for national standards and an outcomes-focused research agenda: Recommendations for national standards and a national public comment process. Silver Spring, Maryland: Resources for Cross Cultural Health Care. Last accessed April 14, 2008; Available at http://www.omhrc.gov/Assets/pdf/checked/Assuring_Cultural_Competence_in_Health_Care-1999.pdf.
- Rogler, L. H., Malgady, R. G., & Rodriguez, O. (1989). Hispanics and mental health: A framework for research. Malabar, FL: Robert E. Krieger Publishing Company.Google Scholar
- Snowden L. R. (2001). Barriers to effective mental health services for African Americans. Mental Health Services Research, 3(4), 181–187.Google Scholar
- Stromwall, L. K., & Hurdle, D. (2003). Psychiatric rehabilitation: An empowerment-based approach to mental health services. Health & Social Work, 28(3), 206–213.Google Scholar
- Sue, S., Zane, N., & Young, K. (1994). Research on psychotherapy on culturally diverse populations. In A. Bergin & S. Garfield (Eds.), Handbook of psychotherapy and behavior change (4th ed.). New York: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Suite, D. H., La Bril, R., Primm, A., & Harrison-Ross, P. (2007). Beyond misdiagnosis, misunderstanding and mistrust: relevance of the historical perspective in the medical and mental health treatment of people of color. Journal of the National Medical Association, 99(8), 879–885.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. (2001). Mental health: Culture, race, and ethnicity – a supplement to mental health: A report of the Surgeon General. Rockville, MD: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, Center for Mental Health Services.Google Scholar
- Whitley, R., Kirmayer, L. J., & Groleau, D. (2006). Understanding immigrants’ reluctance to use mental health services: A qualitative study from Montreal. Canadian Journal of Psychiatry, 51(4), 205–209.Google Scholar
- Willging, C. E., Salvador, M., & Kano, M. (2006). Pragmatic help seeking: How sexual and gender minority groups access mental health care in a rural state. Psychiatric Services, 57(6), 871–874.Google Scholar