There has never been a technology which has caught such wide attention and imagination in a short period of few years as nanotechnology. It was envisioned in 1959 by Richard Feynman, the Nobel Laureate in physics, in his famous prediction “there are plenty of rooms at the bottom”, and the word “nanotechnology” was coined by Professor Norio Taniguchi in 1974 and then popularized by K. Eric Drexler in 1980s in his book Engines of Creation: The Coming Era of Nanotechnology. Nanotechnology was really coming out of science fiction to become reality following the invention of scanning tunneling microscope (STM) which made it possible to see and manipulate atoms. The pervasive use of nanoparticles and carbon nanotubes in the last few years greatly fueled the global enthusiasm in nanotechnology. It has become the hottest pursued technology worldwide in recent years.
Nanotechnology deals with materials and systems at or around nanometer scale (1 billionth of a meter)....
KeywordsIntegrate Circuit Fabrication Technology Optical Lithography Dimensional Scale Nanofabrication Technique
- 1.Harvard’s George Whitesides on Nanotechnology: “A Word, Not a Field”. Science Watch, 2002 (July/August). 13(4).Google Scholar
- 2.US National Nanotechnology Initiative (NNI). [cited; Available from: http://www.nano.gov/.
- 3.International Technology Roadmap for Semiconductors (ITRS). [cited; Available from: http://www.itrs.net/.
- 4.Mack, C., Predicting the Future in the Past. Semiconductor International, 2007 (September).Google Scholar
- 5.TSMC Reports Foundry's First 32-Nanometer Technology with Functional SRAM. Semicopnductor International, 2007(December).Google Scholar
- 8.Bjorkholm, J.E., EUV lithography—the successor to optical lithography ? Intel Technol. J. 1998. Q3’98: p. 1.Google Scholar
- 10.Tseng, A.A., A. Notargiacomo, and T.P. Chen, Nanofabrication by scanning probe microscope lithography: A review. J. Vac. Sci. Technol., 2005. B23(3): p. 877.Google Scholar
- 12.Cui, Z., Micro-Nanofabrication Technologies and Applications. 2006, Springer.Google Scholar