QoE: Quality of Experience: A Conceptual Essay
The ICT industry and services are on the verge of substituting quality of service and utility functions with quality of experience, QoE. While intuitive, QoE, has eluded the research community. QoE takes into account what the user is experiencing with new products and services. Once this information is collected, it becomes an input in the development of the new product or new service. But how does one measure directly quality of experience? In this conceptual paper, I discuss from an ICT perspective, the utility function and quality of service, QoS. I also present how active interested the industry is in QoE. I concluded with some key points that may serve as a guideline in the process of constructing the QoE function.
KeywordsUtility Function Marginal Utility Mean Opinion Score Asynchronous Transfer Mode Intelligent Video
- 2.T. Eggertsson, Economic Behavior and Institutions (Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1999).Google Scholar
- 3.F. Fisher, The Identification Problem in Econometrics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1966).Google Scholar
- 5.S.S. Stevens, Measurements, Psychophysics and Utility, edited by C. W. Churchman and R. Philburn, Measurement: Definitions and Theories (New York: John Wiley, New York, 1959), pp. 18–63.Google Scholar
- 6.ITU (February 2003); www.itu.int/itudoc/itu-t/com17/activity/cat004_ww9.doc.Google Scholar
- 8.NOKIA, (October 2004), Quality of Experience (QoE) of Mobile Services: Can It Be Measured and Improved? http://whitepapers.silicon.com/0,39024759,60104519p-9000457q,00.htm
- 9.Angela Sasse (May 2007); http://www.cs.ucl.ac.uk/staff/a.sasse/angelasasse.html.
- 10.J. Sun, Football on Mobile Phones. Algorithms, Architectures and quality of Experience in Streaming Video (PhD Dissertation, Department of Applied Physics and Electronics, Umeå University, 2006).Google Scholar
- 13.R. Cabral, The Cabral-Dahab Science Park Management Paradigm: An Introduction, International Journal of Technology Management, 16, pp. 721–725 (1998).Google Scholar
- 15.LCC (February 13, 2007) LCC Solution Measures ‘Quality of Experience’; http://www.mobilemarketingmagazine.co.uk/2007/02/lcc_solution_me.html.
- 16.Daily News (2007), Nominum Enhances Products For Wireless Quality Of Experience, Daily News; http://newsblaze.com/story/20070206160437youn.np/topstory.html.
- 17.EMA (March 22, 2006), Adopting the ultimate service metric: A checklist for an effective Quality of Experience solution, Enterprise Management Associates (EMA), http://www.compuware.com/default.asp.
- 18.MEF, London (May 2007); http://www.m-e-f.org/index.php?id=43. Ericsson, (February 2007) Ericsson User Service Performance, February 2007, White paper 284 23-3106 UEN Rev A; http://www.ericsson.com/technology/whitepapers/3106_user_service_performance_A.pdf.