Interworking Strategy Between DVB-RCS and WiMAX
Aiming to provide low-cost universal broadband access, this paper describes the strategy that supports the integration of hybrid satellite and WiMAX, based on the network architecture proposed in the IST Satsix project. In this context, WiMAX networks can be used as wireless local loops integrated with a satellite network, lowering the cost of the broadband internet connections and providing a universal access to rural and marine areas. The paper presents the problems concerning the interworking between DVB-RCS and WiMAX technologies and the solutions adopted in the SatSix research project, partially funded by European Commission within the Information Society Technologies (IST) 6th Framework Programme.
KeywordsMobile Station Session Initiation Protocol Mobility Management Home Agent Access Router
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- S. Hamed, “A quality of service architecture for IEEE 802.16 Standards”, Asia-Pacific Conference on Communicaton, Perth, Australia, 3–5 October 2005.Google Scholar
- F. Ohrtman “Wimax handbook, building 802.16 Wireless Networks”, May 24, 2005.Google Scholar
- “WiMAX End-to-End Network System Architecture”, Stage 3: Detailed Protocols and Procedures, August 8, 2006 Release 1V&V DRAFT.Google Scholar
- M. Riegel, “Mobile WiMAX Network Architecture”.Google Scholar
- ETSI EN 301 790: Digital Video Broadcasting (DVB); Interaction channel for satellite distribution systems.Google Scholar
- ETSI EN 101 790: Digital Video Broadcasting (DVB); Interaction channel for Satellite Distribution Systems.Google Scholar
- IETF: “IP over IEEE 802.16 Networks (16ng)”, IETF Working Group.Google Scholar
- S. Madanapali, “Analysis of IPv6 Link Models for 802.16 based Networks”, IETF draft-ietf-16ng-ipv6-linkmodel-analysis-0.2.txt, January 2007.Google Scholar
- K. Leung, et al: “WiMAX Forum/3GPP2 Proxy Mobile IPv4”, IETF draft-leung-mip4-proxy-mode-0.4.txt, September 2007.Google Scholar
- S. Gandavelli, K. Leung, V. Devarapalli: “Proxy Mobile IPv6”, IETF draft-sgandave-mipv6-proxymipv6–00.txt, October 2006.Google Scholar
- IEEE: “The IEEE 802.16 Wireless MAN standard for wireless Metropolitan Area Network”.Google Scholar