Performance Evaluation of CRTP and Enhanced CRTP Within the DVB/RCS Context
The last years have seen a solid interest in Voice over IP (VoIP), also referred to as Internet or IP Telephony. The interest in this kind of communications is fueled by the multiple advantages that VoIP holds. Nonetheless, several strides remain to be made in order for VoIP systems to be on a par with the well engineered Public Switched Telephone Network (PSTN). From the network's viewpoint, one major downside of this application is the relatively high size of the IP/UDP/RTP headers compared to the packet's payload, which translates in inefficient bandwidth utilization. This work intends to assess the performance of two well-known header compression schemes that is Compressed RTP (CRTP) and Enhanced CRTP, over satellite links. For the needs of this comparison a software platform was implemented which models the behavior of the satellite channel and permits the evaluation of different header compression schemes on real traffic.
KeywordsPacket Loss Packet Error Rate Compression Scheme Satellite Link Packet Type
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Casner S, Jacobson V (1999) Compressing IP/UDP/RTP Headers for Low-Speed Serial Links, RFC 2508, Internet Engineering Task Force, Feb. 1999.Google Scholar
- Koren T et al. (2003) Enhanced Compressed RTP (CRTP) for Links with High Delay, Packet Loss and Reordering, RFC 3545, Internet Engineering Task Force, Jul. 2003.Google Scholar
- Bormann C et al. (2001) RObust Header Compression (ROHC): Framework and Four Profiles: RTP, UDP, ESP, and ncompressed, RFC 3095, Internet Engineering Task Force, Jul. 2001.Google Scholar
- Jin H et al. (2004) Performance Comparison of Header Compression Schemes for RTP/UPD/IP Packets, in Proc. of the IEEE Wireless Communications and Net-working Conference (WCNC) 2004, vol. 3, Atlanta, Georgia, USA, March 21–25 2004, pp. 1691–1696.Google Scholar
- Ishac JA (2001) Survey of Header Compression Techniques”, NASA/TM-2001–211154, [Available Online: http://gltrs.grc.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/GLTRS/browse.pl?2001/TM-2001–211154.html], Sep. 2001.
- ETSI (2005) EN 301 790 - Digital Video Broadcasting (DVB); Interaction channel for satellite distribution systems, vo1.4.1, Sep. 2005.Google Scholar
- Mamais G et al (1998), Evaluation of the Casner-Jacobson Algorithm for Compressing the RTP/UDP/IP Headers, in Proc. of the 3rd IEEE Symposium on Computers and Communications (ISCC) 1998, Athens, Greece, 29 June–2 July 1998, pp. 543–548.Google Scholar
- Cellatoglu A et al (2001) Robust Header Compression for Real-Time Services in Cellular Networks, in Proc. of the 2nd International Conference on 3G Mobile Communication Technologies, London, UK, Mar. 2001, pp. 124–128.Google Scholar
- Elischer J, Cobbs A (1999) The netgraph networking system, [Available Online: http://www.elischer.org/netgraph], Jan. 1999.
- Astuti D, Kojo M (2004) TCP and Link Layer Enhancements in DVBS/DVB-RCS Satellite Systems, Berkeley - Helsinki Ph.D. Student Workshop on Telecommunication Software Architectures, Jun. 2004.Google Scholar