Multicast Architecture for IPv6 over DVB-RCS Satellite Networks
As one of the key elements in an IPv6 supported DVB-RCS satellite network, the multicast architecture design is facing the challenges of interworking between the IPv6 multicast protocols and the satellite signaling while efficiently using the satellite bandwidth.
How to enable the multicast group management functions for satellite end users with and without direct IPv6 MLD router support and how to translate the IP multicast routing protocol messages to the satellite lower layer signaling to establish the satellite channels between two spot beams need to be answered.
With the regenerating satellite space segment, dynamic multicast routing is possible and making an efficient use of the satellite bandwidth has to be considered. This paper presents the SATSIX approaches of a multicast architecture involving both the IP multicast and the C2P protocols to address and solve these questions.
KeywordsMulticast Group Satellite Network User Terminal Multicast Session Multicast Service
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- B. Cain, S. Deering, I. Kouvelas, B. Fenner and A. Thyagarajan; IETF RFC 3376—“Internet Group Management Protocol, Version 3”; October 2002.Google Scholar
- ETSI TS 102 293 “IGMP Adaptation”.Google Scholar
- ETSI TS 102 294 “IP Interworking Via Satellite: Multicast Functional Architecture”.Google Scholar
- ETSI TS 102 429–1, 2, 3, 4: SES BSM Regenerative Satellite Mesh—B (RSM-B); DVB-S/DVB-RCS Family for Regenerative Satellites; “Part 1: System Overview’’; “Part 2: Satellite Link Control Layer’’; “Part 3: C2P”.Google Scholar
- G. Fairhurst and M.J. Montpetit; IETF draft-ietf-ipdvb-ar-06.txt “Address Resolution Mechanisms for IP Datagrams over MPEG-2 Networks”; March 2007.Google Scholar
- B. Fenner, H. He, B. Haberman and H. Sandick; IETF RFC 4605—“IGMP/MLD-Based Multicast Forwarding (IGMP/MLD Proxying)”; August 2006.Google Scholar
- SatSix. “Network Architecture”.Google Scholar
- SatSix. “Satellite Access Architecture”.Google Scholar
- SatSix. “Satellite Network Requirements”.Google Scholar
- F. Vallejo and A. Yun; “AmerHis: Triple Play over an OBP-based DVB-RCS Satellite Platform”; IEEE International Conference on Satellite Systems Communications; September 2006.Google Scholar
- R. Vida and L. Costa; IETF RFC 3810—“Multicast Listener Discovery Version 2 (MLDv2) for IPv6”; June 2004.Google Scholar
- A. Yun, I. Moreno and F. Ruiz; “IP Multicast over New Generation Satellite Networks. A Case Study: AmerHis”; 23rd AIAA International Workshop on Satellite and Space Communications (ICSSC 2005) and 11th Ka Broadband Communications Conference; September 2005.Google Scholar