Efficient 2D Linear-Phase IIR Filter Design and Application in Image Processing
We present an efficient and novel procedure to design two-dimensional (2D) linearphase IIR filters with less hardware resource. A 2D linear-phase FIR filter prototype is first designed using semidefinite programming (SDP). The prototype filter is then decomposed into modular structures via Schur decomposition method (SDM). Each section is reduced into IIR structures using a novel digital system identification technique called the discrete-time vector fitting (VFz). Examples with image processing application show that the algorithm exhibits fast convergence and produces low hardware cost and accurate filters.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Gonzalex R and Woods R (2001) Digital Image Processing, 2nd ed. Prentice-Hall, Upper Saddle River, N.J.Google Scholar
- 2.Kreuger R, Virtex-EM FIR filter for video applications. [Online]. Available: http://direct.xilinx.com/bvdocs/appnotes/xapp241.pdf
- 3.Gong SMS and Psarrou A (2000) Dynamic Vision: From Images to Face Recognition. 1st ed. Imperial College PressGoogle Scholar
- 4.Bouganis PCC, Constantinides G (2005) A novel 2D filter design methodology for heterogeneous devices. In IEEE FCCM05 pp. 13–22Google Scholar
- 7.Aldhaheri R, Design of 2-D linear phase digital filters using schur decomposition and symmetries. 15(1) pp. 65–81Google Scholar
- 9.Wong N and Lei C (2007) FIR filter approximation by IIR filters based on discrete-time vector fitting. In Proc. IEEE Symp. Circuits and Systems May 2007, to appearGoogle Scholar
- 11.Kwan HK and Jiang A (2006) Recent advances in FIR approximation by IIR digital filters. In Proc. Int. Conf. Communications, Circuits and Systems June pp. 185–190Google Scholar
- 12.Lei C and Wong N (2006) Multiplierless polynomial-operator-based IIR filters for efficient VLSI implementation. In IEEE TENCONGoogle Scholar