Multiplierless Synthesis of Multiple Constant Multiplications Using Common Subexpression Sharing With Genetic Algorithm
In the context of multiple constant multiplications (MCM) design, we propose a novel common subexpression elimination (CSE) algorithm that models synthesis of coefficients into an estimated cost function. Although the proposed algorithm generally does not guarantee an optimum solution, it is capable of finding the minimum/ minima of the function in practically sized problems. In our design examples that have known optimal solutions, syntheses of coefficients using the proposed method match the optimal results in a defined search space. We also discover the relationship and propose an improvement search space for optimization that combines all minimal signed digit (MSD) representations, as well as the shifted sum (difference) of coefficients to explore the hidden relationship. In some cases, the proposed feasible solution space further reduces the number of adders/subtractors in the synthesis of MCM from all MSD representations.
KeywordsGenetic Algorithm Search Space Critical Path Lookup Table Crossover Operation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Dempster AG and Macleod MD (2004) Digital filter design using subexpression eliminiation and all signed-digit representations. In Proc. IEEE Int. Symp. on Circuits and Systems 3: III 169–III 172, May 23–26Google Scholar
- 7.Flores P, Monteiro J and Costa E (2005) An exact algorithm for the maximal sharing of partial terms in multiple constant multiplications. In Proc. IEEE Intl. Conf. Computer-Aided Design, San Jose, CA, pp. 13–16, Nov. 6–10Google Scholar
- 8.Mazumder P and Rudnick EM (1999) Genetic algorithms for VLSI design, layout & test automation.Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice-HallGoogle Scholar
- 9.Gen M and Cheng R (1997) Genetic algorithms and engineering design, Parsaei HR, Ed. New York, NY: John Wiley & SonsGoogle Scholar
- 10.Bull DR and Horrocks DH (1991) Primitive operator digital filters. Proc. Inst. Elec. Eng. G: Circuits, Devices, Syst. 138(3):401–412Google Scholar
- 11.Aksoy L, Flores P, Monteiro J, and Costa E (2007) Optimization of area in digital fir filters using gate-level metrics. In Proc. IEEE Design Automation Conference (DAC), San Diego, CA, June 4–8Google Scholar