Loss of Visual and Retinal Function in Light-stressed Mice
Extreme light exposure is an environmental factor that can lead to photoreceptor apoptosis and retinal degeneration (Noell and Albrecht, 1971; Reme et al., 1995). Photoreceptor apoptosis is the final cell death pathway in retinal diseases such agerelated macular degeneration (AMD) and retinitis pigmentosa (RP). Extreme light stress also accelerates underlying retinal disease in many animal models (Wenzel et al., 2005), providing further evidence for light exposure as an independent risk factor for retinal degeneration. For these reasons, the study of light-induced degeneration in mice may provide a valuable model for uncovering the mechanisms of retinal diseases.
KeywordsLight Exposure Visual Function Contrast Sensitivity Retinal Degeneration Retinal Disease
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Alexander JJ, Umino Y, Chang B, Min SH, Li QH, Everhart D, Timmers AM, Hawes L, Barlow R, Hauswirth WW (2007). Restoration of cone vision in a mouse model of achromotopsia: Cone targeted gene therapy. (Nat Med., submitted).Google Scholar
- Elshatory Y, Everhart D, Deng M, Xie X, Barlow R, Gan L (2007) Islet-1 Controls ON- and OFF- Retinal bipolar cell differentiation and cholinergic phenotype expression (J Neurosci. submitted).Google Scholar
- Organisciak DT, Darrow RM, Barsalou LS (2003). Light-Induced retinal degeneration. Ocular neuroprotection. Ed. L.A. Levin, A. DiPolo. Marcel Dekker, New York, 85–107.Google Scholar
- Prusky GT, Alam NM, Beekman S, Douglas RM (2004). Invest Ophthalmol Visual Sci. 45: 4611–4616.Google Scholar
- Reme CE, Weller M, Szczesny P, Munz K, Hafezi F, Reinboth, J, Clausen, M (1995). Degenerative diseases of the retina. New York: Plenum Press. 19–25.Google Scholar
- Umino Y, Everhart D, Solessio E, Cusato K, Pan JC, Nguyen TH, Brown ET, Hafler R, Frio BA, Knox BE, Engbretson GA, Haeri M, Cui L, Glenn AS, Charron MJ, Barlow RB (2006a). Hypoglycemia leads to age-related loss of vision. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:19541–19545.Google Scholar
- Umino Y, Frio B, Abbasi M, Barlow R (2006b). A two-alternative, forced choice method for assessing mouse vision. Adv Exp Med Biol. 572:169–172.Google Scholar
- Wenzel A, Reme CE, Williams TP, Hafezi F, Grimm C (2001). The RPE65 LeuMet450 variation increases retinal resistance against light-induced degeneration by slowing rhodopsin regeneration. J Neurosci. Jan 1; 21 (1):53–58.Google Scholar