In vitro Analysis of Ribozyme-mediated Knockdown of an ADRP Associated Rhodopsin Mutation
Retinitis Pigmentosa (RP) is a group of retinal degenerative diseases that are characterized mainly by the loss of rod photoreceptor cells. RP can be sub divided into 3 classes, autosomal dominant, autosomal recessive, and X- linked RP, where the mutant gene exists on the sex chromosome (X) (Hartong et al., 2006; Wang et al., 2005). Mutations in rhodopsin are the most common cause of the autosomaldominant form of RP (ADRP). More than 100 mutations in rhodopsin account for approximately 30 of ADRP cases with varying severity of visual impairment (Dryja et al., 1991). Based on in vitro studies (Sung et al., 1993; Sung et al., 1991), rhodopsin mutations that are similar to wild-type in terms of expression levels, folding and formation of functional photopigment are considered Class 1 mutations.
KeywordsRetinitis Pigmentosa Retinal Degeneration Opsin Gene Hammerhead Ribozyme Photoreceptor Degeneration
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Frederick, J. M., Krasnoperova, N. V., Hoffmann, K., Church-Kopish, J., Ruther, K., Howes, K., Lem, J., and Baehr, W., 2001, Mutant rhodopsin transgene expression on a null background, Invest Ophthalmolo Vis Sci. 42:826Google Scholar
- Naash, M. L., Peachey, N. S., Li, Z. Y., Gryczan, C. C., Goto, Y., Blanks, J., Milam, A. H., and Ripps, H., 1996a, Light-induced acceleration of photoreceptor degeneration in transgenic mice expressing mutant rhodopsin, Invest Ophthalmology Visual Sci. 37:775.Google Scholar
- Naash, M. I., Ripps, H., Li, S., Goto, Y., and Peachey, N. S., 1996b, Polygenic disease and retinitis pigmentosa: albinism exacerbates photoreceptor degeneration induced by the expression of a mutant opsin in transgenic mice, J Neurosci. 16:7853.Google Scholar
- Nour, M., and Naash, M. I., 2003, Mouse models of human retinal disease caused by expression of mutant rhodopsin. A valuable tool for the assessment of novel gene therapies, Adv Exp Med Bio. 533:173.Google Scholar
- Petrin, D., Baker, A., Coupland, S. G., Liston, P., Narang, M., Damji, K., Leonard, B., Chiodo, V. A., Timmers, A., Hauswirth, W., Korneluk, R. G., and Tsilfidis, C., 2003, Structural and functional protection of photoreceptors from MNU-induced retinal degeneration by the X-linked inhibitor of apoptosis, Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 44:2757.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar