Vascularized Knee Transplantation
The allogeneic grafting of total joints has been a matter of discussion for almost a century. In 1908, Erich Lexer reported the first transplantation of a human knee joint. The grafting of human joint and tissue were performed without organ preservation techniques, without vascular pedicles and graft reperfusion. Transplantation immunology and the phenomenon of acute and chronic rejection were unknown, as well as immunosuppressive drugs and antibiotics. Hence, Lexer's attempts were doomed to fail.
KeywordsTotal Knee Arthroplasty Knee Joint Acute Rejection Immunosuppressive Regime Bone Stock
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.E. Lexer, Substitution of whole or half joints from freshly amputated extremities by free plastic operation, Surg Gynecol Obstet 6, 601–607 (1908).Google Scholar
- 2.E. Lexer, Joint transplantation and arthroplasty, Surg Gynecol Obstet 40, 782–809 (1925).Google Scholar
- 3.K. Doi, G. De Santis, D. J. Singer, et al., The effects of immunosuppression on vascularised allografts, J Bone Joint Surg 71B, 576–582 (1989).Google Scholar
- 5.D. Schäfer, R. Rosso, R. Fricker, et al., Functional and morphological results of vascularized total knee transplantation under cyclosporine A as compared to autologous vascularized knee replantation, Surg Forum 44, 597–607 (1983).Google Scholar
- 7.M. I. Boyer, J. S. Danska, L. Nolan, et al., Microvascular transplantation of physeal allografts, J Bone Joint Surg 77B, 806–814 (1995).Google Scholar
- 10.M. H. Kirschner, G. O. Hofmann, Vorläufige Ergebnisse der Transplantation allogener gefäßgestieleter Femurdiaphysen unter Immunosuppression. Transplantations medizin 8, 48–53 (1996).Google Scholar
- 11.G. O. Hofmann, M. H. Kirschner, F. D. Wagner, et al., First vascularized knee joint transplantation in man. Tex Med 8, 46–47 (1996).Google Scholar
- 14.L. X. Web, New techniques in wound management: Vacuum-assisted wound closure, J Am Acad Orthop Surg 10, 303–311 (2002).Google Scholar
- 18.G. O. Hofmann, M. H. Kirschner, L. Brauns, F. D. Wagner, W. Land, V. Bühren, Vascularized knee joint transplantation in men: A report on the first cases, Transplant Int 11, 487–490 (1998).Google Scholar
- 22.J. M. Dubernard, E. Owen, N. Lefrancois, P. Petruzzo, X. Martin, M. Dawahra, D. Jullien, J. Kanitakis, C. Frances, X. Preville, L. Gebuhrer, N. Hakim, N. Lanzetta, H. Kapila, G. Herzberg, J. P. Revillard, First human hand transplantation. Case report, Transpl Int 13, Suppl 1, S521–S524 (2000).PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar