End-Stage Renal Disease and Dialysis
An 18-year old male with end-stage renal disease secondary to FSGS initiates chronic maintenance hemodialysis therapy. He receives 40 μg of recombinant hepatitis B vaccine intramuscularly in the deltoid, receiving three separate doses. Six weeks after the primary series is completed, antibody levels against hepatitis B surface antigen are <10 mU/ml.
KeywordsPeritoneal Dialysis Correct Answer Pediatric Nephrology Dialysis Unit Iron Sucrose
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Rnagel MC, Coronado VG, Euler GI, et al. (2000) Vaccine recommendations on patient on chronic hemodialysis. Seminar 13:101–107Google Scholar
- National Kidney Foundation (2000) K/DOQ1 Clinical Practice Guidelines for Vascular Access. Am J Kidney Dis (suppl 1) 37:S137–S181Google Scholar
- Beathard GA (1999) Management of bacteremia associated with tunneled-cuffed hemodialysis catheters. J Am Soc Nephrol 10:1049–1045Google Scholar
- William PF, Foggensteiner L (2002) Sterile/allergic peritonitis with icodextrin in CAPD patients. Perit Dial Int 22:89–90Google Scholar
- Arand S, Nissenson AR (2003) Pure red-cell aplasia (2003) An emerging epidemic in dialysis patients. Peri Dial Int 23:317–319Google Scholar