Carbon Fiber/Carbon Matrix Composites
We devote this chapter to a very special kind of composite that consists of carbon fibers embedded in a carbonaceous matrix. The carbon fiber in these composites can be continuous or short. We described the processing of carbon fibers in Chap. 2. Carbon is a very versatile material. It can exist in a variety of forms; amorphous, graphite, diamond, fullerenes, graphene, nanotubes, etc. Below we summarize the salient features of some important forms of carbon.
KeywordsCarbon Fiber High Pressure Processing Warp Yarn Thermal Expansion Behavior Fill Yarn
- Alvey MD, George PM (1991) carbon 29:523Google Scholar
- Buckley JD (1988) Am Ceram Soc Bull 67:364Google Scholar
- McAllister LE, Lachman WL (1983) Fabrication of composites. North-Holland, Amsterdam, p 109Google Scholar
- Strife JR, Sheehan JE (1988) Am Ceram Soc Bull 67:369Google Scholar
- Taverna AR, McAllister LE (1971) Adv. materials: composites and carbon. Amer. Ceram. Soc, Columbus, OH, p 199Google Scholar