It is a truism that technological development depends on advances in the field of materials. One does not have to be an expert to realize that the most advanced turbine or aircraft design is of no use if adequate materials to bear the service loads and conditions are not available. Whatever the field may be, the final limitation on advancement depends on materials. Composite materials in this regard represent nothing but a giant step in the ever-constant endeavor of optimization in materials.
KeywordsComposite Material Glass Fiber Cellulose Fiber Service Load Sandwich Composite
- Chawla KK (Feb., 2005) J Miner, Metals Mater Soc 57:46Google Scholar
- Deutsch S (May, 1978). 23rd National SAMPE Symposium, p 34Google Scholar
- Elices M (ed) (2000) Structural biological materials. Pergamon Press, AmsterdamGoogle Scholar
- Schier JF, Juergens RJ (Sept., 1983) Astronautics Aeronautics 21:44Google Scholar
- Wainwright SA, Biggs WD, Currey JD, Gosline JM (1982) Mechanical design in organisms. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJGoogle Scholar