Other Cannabimimetic Lipid Signaling Molecules
The endogenous lipids anandamide and 2-arachidonoylglycerol (2-AG) play predominant signaling roles through G protein-coupled receptors (GPCRs) and at least one transient receptor potential channel (TRP). Additional structurally similar lipid signaling molecules that have cannabinoid-like (cannabimimetic) activity in which they produce similar cellular, physiological, and behavioral phenotypes as anandamide and 2-AG have recently been discovered. Like the endogenous cannabinoids, many of the actions of these structurally similar endogenous lipids are known to occur through both GPCRs and TRPs. The cannabimimetic lipid signaling molecules of N-arachidonoyl glycine, N-arachidonoyl dopamine, N-arachidonoyl serine, the family of N-acyl ethanolamines, and 2-acyl glycerols and their roles in cellular signaling and physiology are discussed here.
KeywordsGlyceryl Ether Prostaglandin Leukot Essent Fatty Acid Lipid Signaling Molecule Carbon Saturated Fatty Acid Noladin Ether
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Darmani NA, Izzo AA, Degenhardt B, Valenti M, Scaglione G, Capasso R, Sorrentini I, Di Marzo V (2005) Involvement of the cannabimimetic compound, N-palmitoyl-ethanolamine, in inflammatory and neuropathic conditions: review of the available pre-clinical data, and first human studies. Neuropharmacology 48:1154–1163.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Gavva NR, Klionsky L, Qu Y, Shi L, Tamir R, Edenson S, Zhang TJ, Viswanadhan VN, Toth A, Pearce LV, Vanderah TW, Porreca F, Blumberg PM, Lile J, Sun Y, Wild K, Louis JC, Treanor JJ (2004) Molecular determinants of vanilloid sensitivity in TRPV1. J Biol Chem 279:20283–20295.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Huang SM, Bisogno T, Petros TJ, Chang SY, Zavitsanos PA, Zipkin RE, Sivakumar R, Coop A, Maeda DY, De Petrocellis L, Burstein S, Di Marzo V, Walker JM (2001) Identification of a new class of molecules, the arachidonyl amino acids, and characterization of one member that inhibits pain. J Biol Chem 276:42639–42644.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Huang SM, Bisogno T, Trevisani M, Al-Hayani A, De Petrocellis L, Fezza F, Tognetto M, Petros TJ, Krey JF, Chu CJ, Miller JD, Davies SN, Geppetti P, Walker JM, Di Marzo V (2002) An endogenous capsaicin-like substance with high potency at recombinant and native vanilloid VR1 receptors. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 99:8400–8405.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Ikeda Y, Iguchi H, Nakata M, Ioka RX, Tanaka T, Iwasaki S, Magoori K, Takayasu S, Yamamoto TT, Kodama T, Yada T, Sakurai T, Yanagisawa M, Sakai J (2005) Identification of N-arachidonylglycine, U18666A, and 4-androstene-3, 17-dione as novel insulin Secretagogues. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 333:778–786.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Overton HA, Babbs AJ, Doel SM, Fyfe MC, Gardner LS, Griffin G, Jackson HC, Procter MJ, Rasamison CM, Tang-Christensen M, Widdowson PS, Williams GM, Reynet C (2006) Deorphanization of a G protein-coupled receptor for oleoylethanolamide and its use in the discovery of small-molecule hypophagic agents. Cell Metab 3:167–175.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar