Return to the moon
The cancellation of Luna 25 in 1977 marked the end of the Russian programme of lunar exploration. Nevertheless, the chief designer of the Soviet space programme was not ready to give up completely on a manned flight to the moon, for Valentin Glushko persisted with dreams for lunar exploration, presenting his last set of ideas in 1986, just three years before his death.
KeywordsLunar Surface Space Programme Lunar Orbit Lunar Exploration Chief Designer
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Sagdeev, Roald Z.: The making of a Soviet scientist. John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1994.Google Scholar
- Zak, Anatoli: Manned lunar programme on his website http://www.russianspaceweb.com/lunar, posted 2002.
- Abeelen, Luc van den: The persistent dream-Soviet plans for manned lunar missions. Journal of the British Interplanetary Society, vol. 52, April 1999.Google Scholar
- Covault, Craig: Russia’s lunar return. Aviation Week and Space Technology, 5th June 2006.Google Scholar
- Jha, Alok: Fly me to the moon-and let me pay among the stars. The Guardian, 12th August 2005.Google Scholar
- Hendrickx, Bart: The Kamanin diaries, 1960–63. Journal of the British Interplanetary Society, vol. 50, #1, January 1997;-The Kamanin diaries, 1964–6. Journal of the British Interplanetary Society, vol. 51, #11, November 1998;-The Kamanin diaries, 1967–8. Journal of the British Interplanetary Society, vol. 53, #11/ 12, November/December 2000;-The Kamanin diaries, 1969–71. Journal of the British Interplanetary Society, vol. 55, 2002 (referred to collectively as Hendrickx, 1997–2002).Google Scholar
- Young, Steven: Soviet Union was far behind in 1960s moon race. Spaceflight, vol. 32, #1, January 1990.Google Scholar
- Rebrov, Colonel M.: But this is how it was. Krasnaya Zvezda, 13th January 1990, translated by Charles E. Noad.Google Scholar
- Leskov, Sergei: How we didn’t get to the moon. Izvestia, 18th August 1989, translated by Charles E. Noad.Google Scholar
- Pikul, V.: The history of technology-how we conceded the moon-a look by one of the participants of the N-1 drama and the reasons behind it. Izobretatel i Ratsionalizator, #8, August 1990 (in translation).Google Scholar
- Smolders, Peter: I met the man who brought the V-2 to Russia. Spaceflight, vol. 37, #7, July 1995.Google Scholar
- Mishin, Vasili: Why we didn’t land on the moon. Znaniya, #12, December 1990 (as translated).Google Scholar
- Afanasayev, I.B.: Unknown spacecraft. Znaniya, #12, December 1991, translated by Ralph Gibbons.Google Scholar
- Cirou, Alan: L’histoire secrète des Lunokhod. Ciel et Espace, septembre 2004 (avec Jean-René Germain).Google Scholar