Survival training is overseen by the Third Directorate of the Cosmonaut Training Centre. This department is currently headed by Colonel Yuri Gidzenko, a veteran of three space flights, and it has previously been headed by both flown and unflown cosmonauts, including Yevgeniy Khludeyev, Yuri Malyshev and Nikolay Grekov. The department occupies one of the buildings in the training centre and survival training is conducted in cooperation with the Federal Aerospace Search and Rescue Administration. The training enables the crews to acquire the skills needed in the event of an off-nominal landing (or splashdown).
KeywordsMotion Sickness Soyuz Mission Emergency Landing Russian Athlete Survival Training
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Sotheby’s catalogue, December 1993, Russian Space History saleGoogle Scholar
- 2.Sotheby’s catalogue, March 1996, Russian Space History saleGoogle Scholar
- 3.Thorny Road to the Stars, by Aleksander Zheleznyakov, Spaceflight 44 September 2002; Mark Shuttleworth’s diary, on his website African in Space, www.firstafricaninspace.comGoogle Scholar
- 4.ITAR-TASS news agency, Moscow, in Russian, 0735 GMT 12 Feb 2004Google Scholar
- 5.Private interview with Vasiliy Tsibliyev by Bert Vis in 1992; Specialist training schedule for Buran cosmonauts. Desert Training Exercise of Journalist Candidates for Space Mission, Red Star, 6 November 1991Google Scholar
- 6.Cosmonaut candidate drowned during training exercise, TRUD, 6 August 1993Google Scholar
- 7.Goals, Exercise of Cosmonauts Special Parachute Training Programme, Red Star, 27 July 1991Google Scholar
- 8.Novosti Kosmonavtiki: OKP Training review 2004, issues 4, 8, 9 and 10Google Scholar