Volatile Mammalian Chemosignals: Structural and Quantitative Aspects
Current investigations of mammalian chemical signals are providing biologically useful information. Precision of profiling data has become substantially improved due to better sampling methodologies, selective detection techniques and vastly improved mass-spectrometric instrumentation. This, in turn, facilitates the use of powerful chemometric methodologies in evaluation of large data sets and a future integration of volatile profiling data into the systems biology knowledge.
KeywordsHouse Mouse Chemical Communication Asian Elephant Mouse Urine Preen Gland Secretion
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Beauchamp, G.K. and Yamazaki, K. (2003) Chemical signaling in mice. Biochem. Soc. Trans. 31, 141–151.Google Scholar
- Bowers, W.S., Nault, L.R., Webb, R.E. and Dutky, S.R. (1972) Aphid alarm pheromone: isolation, idenfication, synthesis. Nature 177, 1121–1122.Google Scholar
- Brereton, R.G. (2003) Chemometrics: Data Analysis for the Laboratory and Chemical Plant, Wiley, Chichester, UK.Google Scholar
- Dixon, S.J., Brereton, R.G, Soini, H.A., Novotny, M.V. and Penn, D.J. (2007) An automated method for peak detection and matching in large gas chromatography-mass spectrometry data sets. Journal of Chemometrics In press.Google Scholar
- Dixon, S.J., Xu, Y., Brereton, R.G., Soini, H.A., Novotny, M.V., Oberzaucher, E., Grammer, K. and Penn, D.J. (2007) Pattern recognition of gas chromatography mass spectrometry of human volatiles in sweat to distinguish the sex of subjects and determine potential markers. Chemometrics Intell. Lab. Systems. In press.Google Scholar
- McCaffery, A.R. and Wilson, I.D. (Eds.) (1990) Chromatography and Isolation of Insect Hormones and Pheromones, Plenum, NYGoogle Scholar
- Pawliszyn, J. (1997) Solid-Phase Microextraction – Theory and Practice, Wiley, New York.Google Scholar
- Soini, H.A., Wiesler, D. and Novotny, M.V. (2006) Unpublished data.Google Scholar
- Soini, H.A., Wiesler, D., Bruce, K.E., Koyama, S., Ferón, C. Baudoin, B. and Novotny, M.V. (2006) Unpublished data.Google Scholar