Interferer Nulling Based on Neighborhood Communication Patterns
Beamforming using smart antennas can improve the performance of wireless devices. Beyond the increase of antenna gain in a desired direction, beam patterns can also be modified to have very small gains in the direction of interference and noise sources (nulling). In this paper we propose nulling algorithms based on the long-term communication patterns and routing tables in ad hoc networks. Simulation results show that this approach considerably improves spatial reuse and increases SNR, without necessarily increasing path length.
KeywordsAntenna Element Directional Antenna Beam Pattern Probability Mass Function Antenna Gain
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.R. Choudhury, X. Yang, R. Ramanathan, and N. Vaidya, “On designing MAC protocols for wireless networks using directional antennas,” IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, vol. 5, May 2006Google Scholar
- 2.R. Vilzmann, C. Bettstetter, D. Medina, and C. Hartmann, “Hop distances and flooding in wireless multihop networks with randomized beamforming,” in Proc. ACM International Workshop on Modeling, Analysis, and Simulation of Wireless and Mobile Systems (MSWiM), (Montreal, Canada), Oct. 2005Google Scholar
- 3.N. Malhotra, M. Krasniewski, C. Yang, S. Bagchi, and W. Chappell, “Location estimation in ad hoc networks with directional antennas,” in IEEE International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems (ICDCS), June 2005Google Scholar
- 4.R. Vilzmann, J. Widmer, I. Aad, and C. Hartmann, “Low-complexity beam- forming techniques for wireless multihop networks,” in Proceedings of IEEE Communications Society Conference on Sensor, Mesh and Ad Hoc Communications and Networks (SECON), Sept. 2006Google Scholar
- 5.M. Takai, J. Martin, A. Ren, and R. Bagrodia, “Directional virtual carrier sensing for directional antennas in mobile ad hoc networks,” in Proceedings of MobiHoc, 2002Google Scholar
- 6.T. Korakis, G. Jakllari, and L. Tassiulas, “A MAC protocol for full exploitation of directional antennas in ad-hoc wireless networks,” in Proceedings of MobiHoc, 2003Google Scholar
- 7.S. Roy, D. Saha, S. Bandyopadhyay, T. Ueda, and S. Tanaka, “A network-aware MAC and routing protocol for effective load balancing in ad hoc wireless networks with directional antenna,” in Proceedings of MobiHoc, 2003Google Scholar
- 9.H. Steyskal, “Synthesis of antenna patterns with prescribed nulls,” IEEE Com-munications Magazine, no. 2, pp. 273-279, 1982Google Scholar