Low-Rate Predictive Feedback for the OFDM MIMO Broadcast Channel
For a frequency division duplexing (FDD) cellular system, the downlink channel state information (CSI) has to be fed back by mobile terminals (MTs) in order to perform beamforming and scheduling at base station (BS). In this paper, for an orthogonal frequency division multiplexing (OFDM) modulation format, we propose a novel CSI feedback strategy based on the prediction of channel variations. Indeed, quantization of CSI and feedback signalling are jointly designed in order to obtain a low rate feedback signal. Also, an user selection method is devised to allocate users across the subcarriers. Simulations for a 3G long term evolution scenario show a significant performance improvement achieved by the predictive strategy with respect to existing techniques.
KeywordsOrthogonal Frequency Division Multiplex Channel State Information Mobile Terminal Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiplex Symbol MIMO Channel
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.D. Tse and P. Viswanath, Fundamentals of Wireless Communication, Cambridge University Press, 2005.Google Scholar
- 4.D. J. Love, R. W. Heath, W. Santipach, and M. L. Honig, “What is the value of limited feedback for MIMO channels?”, IEEE Commun. Mag., pp. 54-59, Oct. 2004.Google Scholar
- 5.H. Ekstrom, A. Furuskar, J. Karlsson, M. Meyer, and S. Parkvall,“Technical solutions for the 3G long-term evolution”, IEEE Commun. Mag., pp. 38-45, Mar. 2006.Google Scholar
- 8.T. Yoo, N. Jindal, and A. Goldsmith, “Multi-antenna broadcast channels with limited feedback and user selection”, IEEE J. Sel. Areas Commun., (in press).Google Scholar
- 9.M. Trivellato, F. Boccardi, and F. Tosato, “User selection schemes for MIMO broadcast channels with limited feedback”, in Proc. IEEE Vehic. Tech. Conf. 2007 (VTC ’07), Dublin (Irleand), Apr. 2007.Google Scholar
- 10.L. Hanzo, M. Münster, B.J. Chei, and T. Keller, OFDM and MC-CDMA for Broadband Multi-User Communications,WLANS and Broadcasting, Wiley, 2003.Google Scholar
- 11.M. Kountouris and D. Gesbert, “Memory-based opportunistic multi-user beam-forming”, in Proc. Int. Symp. Info. Theory (ISIT), Sept. 2005, pp. 1426-1430.Google Scholar
- 12.A. Jalai, R. Padovani, and R. Pankaj, “Data throughput of CDMA-HDR a high efficiency-high data rate personal communication wireless system”, in Proc. Vehic. Tech. Conf. (VTC), May 2000.Google Scholar
- 13.A. Gersho and R. M. Gray, Vector Quantization and Signal Compression, KAP, 1992.Google Scholar
- 14.J. Salo, G. Del Galdo, J. Salmi, P. Kyösti, M. Milojevic, D. Laselva, and C. Schneider, “Matlab implementation of the 3gpp spatial channel model”, Tech. Rep., 3GPP TR 25.996, Jan. 2005, Available on-line : http://www.tkk.fi/Units/ Radio/scm/.