Wireless Sensor Networks and SNMP: Data Publication Over and IP Network
The availability of a wide range of cheap single chip computers, and of integrated radio-transceivers operating in the ISM band, has significantly encouraged the design and deployment of efficient wireless sensor networks (WSNs). This paper presents the original design and implementation of a multi-hop WSN, based on a Microchip MCU and a Cypress RF device, able to publish the data gathered from the field through the facilities offered by SNMP agents. The algorithm adopted to manage the network is discussed, and a possible application scenario is illustrated. A working prototype based on the hardware platform, software and protocol described in this paper has been deployed and tested, and some of the obtained results are shown.
KeywordsSensor Network Sensor Node Wireless Sensor Network Digital Output Simple Network Management Protocol
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.E.H. Callaway, Wireless Sensor Networks - Architectures and Protocols, Auer- bach Publications, Boca Raton, FL, 2004.Google Scholar
- 3.J. Saperia, SNMP at the Edge: Building Effective Service Management Systems, McGraw-Hill Professional, New York, 2002.Google Scholar
- 4.D.R. Mauro, K.J. Schmidt, Essential SNMP, O’Really, 2005.Google Scholar
- 5.W.R. Heinzelman, J. Kulik, H. Balakrishnan, Adaptive Protocols for Informa-tion Dissemination in Wireless Sensor Networks, Proceedings of the 5th Annual ACM/IEEE International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking, Seattle, USA, 1999.Google Scholar
- 6.W.R. Heinzelman, A. Chandrakasan, H. Balakrishnan, Energy-Efficient Com-munication Protocol for Wireless Microsensor Networks, Proceedings of the 33rd Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, vol 8, 2000.Google Scholar
- 7.See for further information http://www.microchip.com.
- 8.Cypress,“CYWUSB6934: WirelessUSBTM LS 2.4 GHz DSSS Radio SoC”, Datasheet, available on line at http://www.cypress.com.
- 9.See for further information http://www.aurelwireless.com.
- 10.See for further information http://www.embeddedarm.com.
- 11.J.D. Case, M. Fedor, M.L. Schoffstall, J. Davin, Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP), IETF, RFC 1157, 1990.Google Scholar
- 12.See for further information http://net-snmp.sourceforge.net.
- 13.K. Mc Cloghrie, M.T. Rose, Management Information Base for Network Man- agement of TCP/IP-Based Internets, IETF, RFC 1156, 1990.Google Scholar
- 14.K. McCloghrie, F. Kastenholz, Evolution of the Interfaces Group of MIB-II, IETF, RFC 1573, 1994.Google Scholar
- 15.See for further information http://h20229.www2.hp.com.
- 16.See for further information http://oss.oetiker.ch/mrtg/.