Improving User Relocatability, Practicality, and Deployment in the Web Stream Customizer System
We present improvements to a Web middleware system that supports flexible Web content and stream customizations such as filtering, compression, encryption, remote caching, and remote buffering, especially applicable for wireless Web access. The new extensions provide support for user relocation, and make the system more practical by emphasizing the use of a personal server for running customization modules and for maintaining user configuration and application data, in addition to the selected use of third party servers to bolster performance, increase fault tolerance, and satisfy special security requirements.
KeywordsMobile Agent Simple Object Access Protocol Client Device Multimedia Streaming Mobile Code
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.E. Amir, S. McCanne, and R. Katz, “An Active Service Framework and its Application to Real-time Multimedia Transcoding,” Proc. SIGCOMM, pp. 178-189, Aug. 1998.Google Scholar
- 2.D. Andersen, D. Bansal, D. Curtis, S. Seshan, and H. Balakrishnan, “System Support for Bandwidth Management and Content Adaptation in Internet Ap-plications,” Proc. OSDI, pp. 213-226, Oct. 2000.Google Scholar
- 3.A. Barbir, R. Chen, M. Hofmann, H. Orman, and R. Penno, “An Ar- chitecture for Open Pluggable Edge Services (OPES),” Network Working Group Internet Draft. http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-opes-architecture-04.txt.
- 4.V. Bharghavan and V. Gupta, “A Framework for Application Adaptation in Mobile Computing Environments,” Proc. IEEE Compsac ’97, Aug. 1997.Google Scholar
- 5.H. Bharadvaj, A. Joshi, and S. Auephanwiriyakul, “An Active Transcoding Proxy to Support Mobile Web Access,” Proc. 17th IEEE Symp. Reliable Dis-tributed Systems, Oct. 1998.Google Scholar
- 6.D. Box, D. Ehnebuske, G. Kakivaya, A. Layman, N. Mendelsohn, H. F. Nielsen, S. Thatte, and D. Winer, “Simple Object Access Protocol (SOAP) 1.1,” //http://www.w3.org/TR/SOAP/.
- 7.C. Brooks, M. S. Mazer, S. Meeks, and J. Miller, “Application-specific Proxy Servers as HTTP Stream Transducers,” Proc. WWW, pp. 539-548, Dec. 1995.Google Scholar
- 8.O. Buyukkokten, H. Garcia-Molina, A. Paepcke, and T. Winograd, “Power Browser: Efficient Web Browsing for PDAs,” Proc. CHI, Apr. 2000.Google Scholar
- 9.S. Chandra, A. Gehani, C. S. Ellis, and A. Vahdat, “Transcoding Characteristics of Web Images,” Proc. MCN, Jan. 2001.Google Scholar
- 10.D. Clark, S. Shenker, and L. Zhang, “Supporting Real-Time Applications in an Integrated Services Packet Network: Architecture and Mechanism,” Proc. SIGCOMM, pp. 14-26, Aug. 1992.Google Scholar
- 11.E. Cohen, B. Krishnamurthy, and J. Rexford, “Improving End-to-End Perfor-mance of the Web Using Server Volumes and Proxy Filters,” Proc. SIGCOMM, pp. 241-253, Sept. 1998.Google Scholar
- 12.S. Deshpande and W. Zeng, “Scalable Streaming of JPEG2000 Images using Hypertext Transfer Protocol,” Proc. ACM Multimedia, Oct. 2001.Google Scholar
- 13.A. Fox, S. Gribble, Y. Chawathe and E. A. Brewer, “Adapting to Network and Client Variation Using Active Proxies: Lessons and Perspectives,” IEEE Personal Comm., vol. 5, no. 4, Aug. 1998.Google Scholar
- 14.R. S. Gray, “Agent Tcl: A Transportable Agent Aystem,” Proc. CIKM Work-shop on Intelligent Information Agents, Dec. 1995.Google Scholar
- 15.J. He, M. A. Hiltunen, M. Rajagopalan, and R. D. Schlichting, “Providing QoS Customization in Distributed Object Systems,” Proc. IFIP/ACM Intl. Conf. Distributed Systems Platforms, pp. 351-372, Nov. 2001, LNCS 2218Google Scholar
- 16.A. Hokimoto, T. Nakajima, “An Approach for Constructing Mobile Applications Using Service Proxies,” Proc. ICDCS, May 1996.Google Scholar
- 17.Internet Content Adaptation Protocol, www.i-cap.org/home.html.
- 18.D. Johansen, R. van Renesse, and F. B. Schnieder, “Operating System Support for Mobile Agents,” Proc. Hot Topics in Op. Sys., May 1995.Google Scholar
- 19.B. Krishnamurthy, C. E. Wills, “Improving Web Performance by Client Char-acterization Driven Server Adaptation,” Proc. WWW. May 2002.Google Scholar
- 20.T. Kunz and J. P. Black, “An Architecture for Adaptive Mobile Applications,” Proc. Wireless Comm., pp. 27-38, July 1999.Google Scholar
- 21.J. Li, G. Chen, J. Xu, Y. Wang, H. Zhou, K. Yu, K. T. Ng, and H. Shum, “Bi-level Video: Video Communication at Very Low Bit Rates,” Proc. ACM Multimedia, Oct. 2001.Google Scholar
- 22.M. Liljeberg, T. Alanko, M. Kojo, H. Laamanen, and K. Raatikainen, “Optimiz-ing World Wide Web for Weakly-Connected Mobile Workstations: An Indirect Approach,” Proc. SDNE, pp. 132-139, June 1995.Google Scholar
- 23.T. S. Loon and V. Bharghavan, “Alleviating the Latency and Bandwidth Prob-lems in WWW Browsing,” Proc. USITS, Dec. 1997.Google Scholar
- 25.W. T. Ooi, and R. van Renesse, “Distributing Media Transformation Over Mul-tiple Media Gateways,” Proc. ACM Multimedia, Oct. 2001.Google Scholar
- 26.H. Peine and T. Stolpmann, “The Architecture of the Ara Platform for Mobile Agents,” Rothermel K., Popescu-Zeletin R. (Eds.),Mobile Agents, Proc. MA ’97, pp. 50-61, Springer Verlag, Apr. 7-8, 1997, LNCS 1219.Google Scholar
- 27.S. Perret and A. Duda, “Implementation of MAP: A System for Mobile Assistant Programming,” Proc. IEEE Intl. Conf. Parallel and Distributed Systems, June 1996.Google Scholar
- 28.H. Rao, Y. Chen, M. Chen, J. Chang, “A Proxy-Based Personal Portal,” Proc. WebNet99, Oct. 1999.Google Scholar
- 29.J. Steinberg and J. Pasquale, “A Web Middleware Architecture for Dynamic Customization of Content for Wireless Clients,” Proc. WWW, May 2002.Google Scholar
- 30.M. Straßer, J. Baumann, and F. Hohl, “Mole - A Java Based Mobile Agent System,” Proc. ECOOP’96 workshop on Mobile Object Systems, Linz, Austria, July 1996.Google Scholar
- 31.A. Vahdat, M. Dahlin, T. Anderson, and A. Aggarwal, “Active Names: Flexible Location and Transport of Wide-Area Resources,” Proc. USITS, Oct. 1999.Google Scholar
- 32.Y. Villate, D. Gil, A. Goni, and A. Illarramendi, “Mobile Agents for Providing Mobile Computers with Data Services,” Proc. DSOM, Oct. 1998.Google Scholar
- 33.N. Yeadon, A. Mauthe, D. Hutchison, and F. Garcia, “QoS Filters: Addressing the Heterogeneity Gap,” Proc. IDMS ’96, Mar. 1996.Google Scholar
- 34.Zenel and D. Duchamp, “A General Purpose Proxy Filtering Mechanism Ap-plied to the Mobile Environment,” Proc. 3rd Annual ACM/IEEE Intl. Conf. Mobile Computing and Networking, pp. 248-259, Sept. 1997.Google Scholar