A Virtual Organisation deployed on a Service Orientated Architecture for Distributed Data Mining applications
Industrial and scientific research activity increasingly involves the geographically distributed utilisation of multiple tools, services and distributed data. Grid and Service Orientated Architecture concepts are being widely investigated as a means to deploy Virtual Organisations to support the needs for distributed collaboration. A generic Distributed Tool, Service and Data Architecture is described together with its application to the aero-engine domain through the BROADEN project. Two fundamental issues for the design of the VO have been addressed: how to maximise the potential of Grid computing to address the complex data mining challenges in the condition monitoring application; and how to maximise the potential of a SOA to build and deploy a flexible and efficient collaborative workbench that integrates the required tools and services.
KeywordsPattern Match Data Repository Dame Project Globus Toolkit Search Request
- I. Foster, C. Kesselman and S. Tuecke, “The Anatomy of the Grid: Enabling Scalable Virtual Organizations”, Int. J. Supercomputer Applications, vol. 15, no. 3, 2001.Google Scholar
- J. Austin et al., “Predictive maintenance: Distributed aircraft engine diagnostics,” in The Grid, 2nd ed, I. Foster and C. Kesselman, Eds. San Mateo, CA: Morgan Kaufmann, 2003, Ch. 5.Google Scholar
- Data Systems and Solutions Core Control™ technology, http://www.ds-s.com/corecontrol.asp
- A. Nairac, N. Townsend, R. Carr, S. King, P. Cowley, and L. Tarassenko, “A system for the analysis of jet engine vibration data,” Integrated Computer-Aided Eng., vol. 6, pp. 53–65, 1999.Google Scholar
- The Globus Toolkit, http://www.globus.org
- Laing, B., Austin, J., A Grid Enabled Visual Tool for Time Series Pattern Match, In: Proceedings of the UK e-Science All Hands Meeting 2004, Nottingham, UK.Google Scholar
- R. Agrawal, C. Faloutos, and A. Swami, “Efficient Similarity Search in Sequence Databases”, in Proc. 4th Int. Conf. Foundations of Data Organization and Algorithms (FODO), 1993, pp. 69–84.Google Scholar
- E. Keogh and S. Kasetty, “On the Need for Time-Series Data Mining Benchmarks: A Survey and Empirical Demonstration”, in Proc. 8th ACM SIGKDD Int. Conf. Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, 2002, pp102–111.Google Scholar
- The AURA and AURA-G web site, Advanced Computer Architectures Group, University of York, UK. http://www.cs.york.ac.uk/arch/NeuralNetworks/AURA/aura.html.
- SDSC Storage Request Broker [Online]. Available: http://www.sdsc.edu/srb/
- David A. Chappell. “Enterprise Service Bus — Theory in Practice”. O’Reilly. ISBN 0-596-00675-6.Google Scholar
- M. Ong, X. Ren, G. Allan, V. Kadirkamanathan, H. A. Thompson, P. J. Fleming (2004). “Decision support system on the Grid”. Proc Int’l Conference on Knowledge-Based Intelligent Information & Engineering Systems, KES 2004.Google Scholar
- Martyn Fletcher, Tom Jackson, Mark Jessop, Bojian Liang, and Jim Austin. “The Signal Data Explorer: A High Performance Grid based Signal Search Tool for use in Distributed Diagnostic Applications.” CCGrid 2006 — 6th IEEE International Symposium on Cluster Computing and the Grid. 16–19, May 2006, Singapore.Google Scholar