Opportunities and Challenges of Developing Peptide Drugs in the Pharmaceutical Industry
The peptide market is growing nearly twice as fast as the overall pharmaceutical market due to an increased number of therapeutic targets and improved delivery methodologies. There are 67 therapeutic peptides on the market, 150 in clinical phases, 400 in advance pre-clinical stages. Over 100 pharmaceutical and biotech companies are active in the peptide field. The market size for peptide drugs in 2007 is estimated to be 3.01 billion US$. 
Important factors and questions need to be considered before starting peptide based projects. They include: is there an unmet medical need, and an opportunity to define clinical differentiation for the indication of interest? What is the market size? What about the competitive landscape in the clinic and in the market? Is the target amenable to alternate approaches, such as small molecules or monoclonal antibodies? What are the de-risking approaches vs. small molecules and monoclonal antibodies? What are the possible delivery methods?...
KeywordsCyclic Peptide Pharmaceutical Market Peptide Drug Sustained Release Formulation Site Pharmacophore
The authors wish to thank Drs. Lee Babiss, Nader Fotouhi, Jefferson Tilley, Rebecca Taub, Louis Renzetti, Michael Brunda, Waseem Malick, and Lisa Chao from Roche (Nutley) and Drs. Anthony Ford and Sally Meadows from Roche (Palo Alto) for stimulating discussions, their support and encouragement during the course of this research.
- 1.D&MD publications. Peptides 2006. New Application in Discovery, Manufacturing, and Therapeutics. Sehgal, A., Author. One Research Drive, suite 400A. Wesborough, MA 01581.Google Scholar
- 2.Giuliano, F., J. Androl 25, 683–691 (2004).Google Scholar
- 4.Danho, W. et al., in Peptides: The Wave of the Future. M. Lebel and R. Houghten (Editors) American Peptide Society, 701–703 (2001).Google Scholar
- 5.US Patens 6,600.015 and 7,045,591.Google Scholar
- 7.Cefalu, G. et al., Presented at Western Pharmacology Socirty Conference (2005).Google Scholar