Intracellular Calcium Waves Transmit Synaptic Information to the Nucleus in Hippocampal Pyramidal Neurons
Ca2+ waves provide a spatially and temporally unique intracellular signal that carries information from one region of the neuron to another. Despite the computational potential of such a mechanism, relatively little is known about the consequences of Ca2+ waves on neuronal function. In this chapter we review the basic properties of internal Ca2+ release and Ca2+ waves in hippocampal CA1 pyramidal neurons and how synaptically elicited Ca2+ waves influence the transcription factor CREB in an age-dependent manner.
KeywordsPyramidal Neuron CREB Binding Protein Hippocampal Pyramidal Neuron Endoplasmic Retic Inducible cAMP Early Repressor
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bading, H., Segal, M.M., Sucher, N.J., Dudek, H., Lipton, S.A., and Greenberg, M.E. (1995) N-methyl-d-aspartate receptors are critical for mediating the effects of glutamate on intracellular calcium-concentration and immediate-early gene-expression in cultured hippocampal-neurons. Neuroscience 64, 653–664.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Bannister, N.J., and Larkman, A.U. (1995b) Dendritic morphology of CA1 pyramidal neurones from the rat hippocampus: Ii. Spine distributions. J. Comp. Neurol. 360, 161–171.Google Scholar
- Jaffe, D.B., and Brown, T.H. (1994) Metabotropic glutamate-receptor activation induces calcium waves within hippocampal dendrites. J. Neurophys. 72, 471–474.Google Scholar
- Messaoudi, E., Bardsen, K., Srebro, B., and Bramham, C.R. (1998) Acute intrahippocampal infusion of BDNF induces lasting potentiation of synaptic transmission in the rat dentate gyrus. J. Neurophys. 79, 496–499.Google Scholar
- Nakamura, T., Nakamura, K., Lasser-Ross, N., Barbara, J.G., Sandler, V.M., and Ross, W.N. (2000) Inositol 1,4,5-trisphosphate (IP3)-mediated Ca2+ release evoked by metabotropic agonists and backpropagating action potentials in hippocampal CA1 pyramidal neurons. J. Neurosci. 20, 8365–8376.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Pozzo Miller, L.D., Petrozzino, J.J., Golarai, G., and Connor, J.A. (1996) Ca2+ release from intracellular stores induced by afferent stimulation of CA3 pyramidal neurons in hippocampal slices. J. Neurophys. 76, 554–562.Google Scholar
- Sharp, A.H., Nucifora, F.C., Jr., Blondel, O., Sheppard, C.A., Zhang, C., Snyder, S.H., Russell, J.T., Ryugo, D.K., and Ross, C.A. (1999) Differential cellular expression of isoforms of inositol 1,4,5-triphosphate receptors in neurons and glia in brain. J. Comp. Neurol. 406, 207–220.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Zhou, S., and Ross, W.N. (2002) Threshold conditions for synaptically evoking Ca2+ waves in hippocampal pyramidal neurons. J. Neurophys. 87, 1799–1804.Google Scholar