The basic logic elements of an IC design, gates, and flip flops, are not made by the designer himself but mostly taken from libraries. The libraries provide a set of common and frequently used basic building blocks. In the area of digital design full custom design at the transistor level can be avoided. The risk of the design process, as well as the effort of verification, is thus reduced significantly. For analogue integrated circuits, when components are available, analogue libraries are used. Digital circuits are composed nearly entirely of library components, whilst analogue circuits are composed by 80% or more of library components. These library components are assembled and combined into the intended design. Only cells with special requirements or performances, which are unavailable as stock library components, are custom designed.
KeywordsDigital Library Design Rule Slew Rate Library Design Library Component
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [17.1]EDA System for VLSI design, free Software from Université Pierre et Marie Curie, ParisCedex 05, ftp://ftp-asi.lip6.fr/pub/alliance Homepage: http://www-asim.lip6.fr/alliance/Google Scholar
- [17.2]Website of EDA supplier AVANT! http://www.avanticorp.com/
- [17.3]ANSI/EIA 656: I/O Buffer Information Specification, Version 3.2 8/99. http://www.eia.org./EIG/IBIS/ibis.htm and from the ANSI Organisation.
- [17.4]Library of IBIS Models, Internet Server: http://eda.org/pub/ibisGoogle Scholar
- [17.5]IEEE Std 1076 1993, IEEE Standard VHDL Language Reference Manual. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Piscataway, NJ, USAGoogle Scholar
- [17.6]IEEE Std 11641993, Standard Multi value Logic System for VHDL Model Interoperability. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Piscataway, NJ, USAGoogle Scholar
- [17.7]LTI Tools for Cell Design, ASIC Libraries, Power Simulation, Block Verification and Chip Timing. Company provided information of Library Technologies, Inc. 19959 Lanark Lane, Saratoga, Ca 95070, http://www.libtech.com/
- [17.8]ALCATEL MIETEC: Standard Cell Design Data Book, 0.5 µm CMOS, Library MTC35xxx Rev. 1.2. Company provided information from ALCATEL Mietec. Oudenaarde, Belgium 1996Google Scholar
- [17.9]Standard Delay Format Specification, Version 2.1. May be requested from: Open Verilog International (OVI), Los Gatos, CA or http://www.ovi.org
- [17.10]Michael John Sebastian Smith: Application Specific Integrated Circuits. Addison Wesley Longman, Inc., 1997Google Scholar
- [17.11]Internet Website of Synopsys: http://www.synopsys.com/cgi-bin/svp/lib/
- [17.12]IEEE std. 1076.4–1995. IEEE-Standard for VITAL Application Specific Integrated Circuits ASIC. IEEE, Piscataway, NJ 08855–1391, USA or http://www.ieee.org/