Excitotoxic Programmed Cell Death Involves Caspase-Independent Mechanisms
Excitotoxicity is a common pathological process in many neurodegenerative disorders; and this process involves over-stimulation of glutamate receptors and an excessive influx of calcium into cells. Cell death in excitotoxicity is unique in that it does not involve caspase dependent pathways. Overactivation of poly (ADP-ribose) polymerase-1 (PARP-1) is an early pathological event in excitotoxicity that leads to a unique form of cell death called parthanatos. Biochemical events in parthanatos include early accumulation of poly (ADP-ribose) (PAR) and nuclear translocation of apoptosis inducing factor (AIF) from the mitochondria.
KeywordsGlutamate Receptor Induce Cell Death Apoptosis Induce Factor PARP Inhibitor Excessive Influx
We thank K. Quinn Tyler for editorial assistance. This work was supported by USPHS NS039148, DA000266. TMD is the Leonard and Madlyn Abramson Professor in Neurodegenerative Diseases.
- Cozzi A, Cipriani G, Fossati S, Faraco G, Formentini L, Min W, Cortes U, Wang ZQ, Moroni F, Chiarugi A (2006) Poly(ADP-ribose) accumulation and enhancement of postischemic brain damage in 110-kDa poly(ADP-ribose) glycohydrolase null mice. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 26:684–695PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Culmsee C, Zhu C, Landshamer S, Becattini B, Wagner E, Pellecchia M, Blomgren K, Plesnila N (2005) Apoptosis-inducing factor triggered by poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase and Bid mediates neuronal cell death after oxygen-glucose deprivation and focal cerebral ischemia. J Neurosci 25:10262–10272PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Pospisilik JA, Knauf C, Joza N, Benit P, Orthofer M, Cani PD, Ebersberger I, Nakashima T, Sarao R, Neely G, Esterbauer H, Kozlov A, Kahn CR, Kroemer G, Rustin P, Burcelin R, Penninger JM (2007) Targeted Deletion of AIF Decreases Mitochondrial Oxidative Phosphorylation and Protects from Obesity and Diabetes. Cell 131:476–491PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Richter BW, Duckett CS (2000) The IAP proteins: caspase inhibitors and beyond. Sci STKE 2000:PE1Google Scholar
- Susin SA, Lorenzo HK, Zamzami N, Marzo I, Snow BE, Brothers GM, Mangion J, Jacotot E, Costantini P, Loeffler M, Larochette N, Goodlett DR, Aebersold R, Siderovski DP, Penninger JM, Kroemer G (1999) Molecular characterization of mitochondrial apoptosis-inducing factor. Nature 397:441–446PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar