Application of Improved Projection Method to Binary Images
In this paper a new method of binary objects representation, based on modification of a widely known and utilized method of projection, is presented. Nowadays, two the most popular ways of combining projections for both coordinates (two vectors for each; horizontal and vertical projection) are: summation of both vectors components and concatenation of those vectors. The most important drawback of mentioned approaches is related to the fact that significant information is lost. The aim of this article is to show the new method of vectors combination – representation in a form of complex vector. The method was explored by using three different groups of binary images. Namely, airplanes and trademarks silhouettes (significantly distorted), and real radar images for comparative navigation.
KeywordsBinary Image Complex Vector Radar Image Improve Projection Generalize Regression Neural Network
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Frejlichowski D., Lack of parts in silhouette during recognition of contour objects, Proc. of 8th computer science scientific session, pp. 181 - 188, Szczecin 2003 (in Polish)Google Scholar
- Fang, B., Leung, C.H., Tang, Y.Y., Tse, K.W., Kwok, P.C.K., Wong, Y.K, Off-line signature verification by the tracking of feature and stroke positions, Pattern Recognition, Vol. 36, Iss. 1, January, 2003, pp. 91-101Google Scholar
- Soltanzadeh, H., Rahmati, M., Recognition of Persian handwritten digits using image profiles of multiple orientations, Pattern Recognition Letters, Vol. 25, Iss. 14, October 15, 2004, pp. 1569-1576Google Scholar
- Fuh, C.-S., Liu H.-B., Projection for pattern recognition, Image and Vision Computing, Vol. 16, Iss. 9-10, July, 1998, pp. 677-687Google Scholar
- Kukharev G., Kuźmiński A., Biometric Techniques Part 1 - Methods of Face Recognition, Szczecin University of Technology, Faculty of Computer Science, Szczecin, 2003 (in Polish)Google Scholar
- Le D.X., Thoma G.R., Automated portrait/landscape mode detection on a binary image, Proc. 1993 SPIE: Symposium on Aerospace and Remote Sensing - Visual Information Processing II, Orlando, FL, April 14-16, 1993, Vol. 1961, pp. 202-212Google Scholar
- Ismail M.A., Gad S., Off-line Arabic signature recognition and verification, Pattern Recognition Vol. 33, Iss. 10, pp. 1727-1740, October, 2000Google Scholar
- Saeed K., Image Analysis for Object Recognition, Bialystok Technical University Press, 2004Google Scholar
- Stateczny A., (red.), Methods of comparative navigation, Scientific Society of Gdansk, 2004 (in Polish)Google Scholar
- Yang, J., Ye H., Zhang D., A new LDA-KL combined method for feature extraction and its generalisation, Pattern Analysis and Applications, Vol. 7, Iss.: 2, July, 2004, pp. 40-50Google Scholar
- Stateczny A. Maow A., Processing Digital Radar Images in Teaching Artificial Neural Network and Target Positioning Problems, Polish Journal of Environmental Studies, Vol. 15, No. 4B, pp. 171-174Google Scholar