A Fuzzy Way to Measure Quality of Work in a Multidimensional Perspective
This paper focuses on the definition and measurement of quality of work (QL) by using a multidimensional approach, based on fuzzy logic. The multidimensional nature of quality of work has been widely acknowledged in economic and sociological literature and attempts at measuring its different dimensions can be found at European level in the work carried out by the European Foundation for the Improvement of living and working conditions. The European Commission and the International Labour Office have also identified different dimensions for quality of work and proposed new indicators to measure them. In this paper an attempt is made to maintain the complexity of the quality of work concept by using a technique that allows measurement without introducing too strong assumptions and makes the rules for judging the different dimensions of QL and their interactions explicit.
KeywordsIntermediate Variable Economic Dimension Fringe Benefit Career Perspective Fuzzy Expert System
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Addabbo T. – Facchinetti G. - Mastroleo G. (2005). “A fuzzy expert system to measure functionings. An application to child wellbeing”. In K. Saeed, R. Mosdorf, J. Pejas, P. Hilmola, Z. Sosnowsky (eds) Proceeding of Image Analysis, Computer Graphics, Security Systems and Artificial Intelligence Applications. Bialystok Vol. 1, 29-42.Google Scholar
- European Commission (2001) “Employment and social policies: a framework for investing in quality” Communication from the Commission to the Council, the European Parliament, the Economic and Social Committee and the Committee of the Regions, COM (2001), Final, 20/06/2001.Google Scholar
- Gallino L. (1993), Dizionario di sociologia, Torino, Utet (I ed. 1978)Google Scholar
- International Labour Office (2003). General Report, Seventeenth International Conference of Labour Statisticians, Geneva, 24 November – 3 December 2003.Google Scholar
- Merllié, D. - Paoli M. (2001) Third European Survey on working conditions – 2000 European Foundation for the Improvement of Living and Working Conditions, Luxembourg: Office for Official Publications of the European Communities.Google Scholar
- Piegat A. (2001), Fuzzy modelling and control. Springer-Verlag, Heidelberg-New York.Google Scholar