In my first year of medical school, we had a lecture by a surgeon. This was a treat for freshman medical students in the late 1950s—to have a talk by a real doctor, one who actually saw patients. The surgeon began the much- anticipated lecture by writing on the blackboard, in very large letters: “Primum non nocere!” This was my first medical aphorism. Of course, I wondered at the time why he couldn’t have written “First, do no harm” in English, especially since—as I will discuss below—the saying is frequently attributed to Hippocrates, who lived on the island of Kos, spoke Greek, and probably didn’t know Latin at all.
KeywordsRheumatic Fever Academic Medical Center Academic Medicine American Golfer Vocal Fremitus
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Fabing H, Marr R. Fischerisms. Springfield, IL: Charles C. Thomas; 1944.Google Scholar
- 2.Hippocrates. Aphorisms. Available at: http://classics.mit.edu/Hippocrates/aphorisms.html. Accessed May 16, 2007.Google Scholar
- 3.Hippocrates. The Aphorisms of Hippocrates. Cambridge, MA: DevCom; 1987.Google Scholar
- 4.Geary J. The World in a Phrase: A Brief History of the Aphorism. London, UK: Bloomsbury Publishing; 2005.Google Scholar
- 6.Rosner F. The life of Moses Maimonides, a prominent medieval physician. Einstein Q J Biol Med. 2002;19:125–128.Google Scholar
- 7.Rosner F, Muntner S. The Medical Aphorisms of Moses Maimonides. New York, NY: Yeshiva University; 1970.Google Scholar
- 8.Garrison FH. History of Medicine. 4th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Saunders; 1929.Google Scholar
- 9.Maimonides. Medical Aphorisms: Treatises 1–5. Bos G, trans. Provo, UT: Brigham Young University Press; 2004.Google Scholar
- 10.Bean RB, Bean WB. Sir William Osler: Aphorisms from his bedside teachings and writings. Springfield, IL: Charles C. Thomas; 1961.Google Scholar
- 11.Balint M. The Doctor, His Patient and the Illness. Millennium edition. London, UK: Churchill Livingstone; 2000:5.Google Scholar
- 12.Who coined the aphorism? Available at: http://www.zebracards.com/a-intro_ inventor.html. Accessed May 14, 2007.Google Scholar
- 15.Taylor RB. Academic Medicine: A Guide for Clinicians. New York, NY: Springer Verlag Publishers; 2006.Google Scholar
- 17.Shem S. The House of God. New York, NY: Dell; 1981.Google Scholar