Towards Equitable and Quality HIV Prevention and Care Services: Assessing the Situation in India
KeywordsSexually Transmitted Disease Truck Driver Sexually Transmitted Disease Clinic Lorry Driver High Prevalence State
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
- Aceijas, C., Friedman, S. R., Cooper, H. L., Wiessing, L., Stimson, G. V., & Hickman, M. (2006). Estimates of injecting drug users at the national and local level in developing and transitional countries, and gender and age distribution. Sexually Transmitted Infections, 82, Suppl 3:iii10–17.Google Scholar
- Anvikar, A., Rao, V.,Chakma, T., Karkare, A., Srivastava, S., & Luke, C. (2006). Regional Medical Research Centre for Tribals, Indian Council Of Medical Research, Jabalpur, India. HIV epidemic in Central India: trends over two decades (1986–2005). Paper presented at the International AIDS Conference, 13–18 August, 2006.Google Scholar
- Bethapudi, S.S. (2000). Role of truck drivers in rampant spread of HIV infection in Indian immediate need to stem the rot. International Conference on AIDS. 2000 July 9–14; abstract no. MoPeD2573.Google Scholar
- Brahme, R., Mehta, S., Sahay, S., Joglekar, N., Ghate, M., Joshi, S., et al. (2006). Correlates and trend of HIV prevalence among female sex workers attending sexually transmitted disease clinics in Pune, India (1993–2002). Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome, 41, 107–113.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Census of India (2001). http://www.censusindia.gov.in/. Accessed November 11, 2007.
- CIA (2007). India. http://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/in.html. Accessed November 28, 2007.
- Desai, V. K., Kosambiya, J. K., Thakor, H. G., Umrigar, D. D., Khandwala, B. R., & Bhuyan, K. K. (2003). Prevalence of sexually transmitted infections and performance of STI syndromes against aetiological diagnosis, in female sex workers of red light area in Surat, India. Sexually Transmitted Infections, 79, 111–115.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Devine, A., Kermode, M., Chandra, P., & Herrman, H. (2007). A participatory intervention to improve the mental health of widows of injecting drug users in north-east India as a strategy for HIV prevention. BMC International Health and Human Rights,7, 3.Google Scholar
- Go, V. F., Sethulakshmi, C. J., Bentley, M. E., Sivaram, S., Srikrishnan, A. K., Solomon, S., et al. (2003). When HIV-prevention messages and gender norms clash: the impact of domestic violence on women's HIV risk in slums of Chennai, India. AIDS and Behavior, 7, 263–272.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Government of India, C. (2001). Retrieved January 31, 2007, from www.censusindia.net
- Gupta, A., Mehta, S., Godbole, S. V., Sahay, S., Walshe, L., Reynolds, S. J., et al. (2006). Same-sex behavior and high rates of HIV among men attending sexually transmitted infection clinics in Pune, India (1993–2002). Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome, 43, 483–490.Google Scholar
- Gupta, S. B., Pujari, S. N., Joshi, S. R., & Patel, A. K. (2006). API consensus guidelines for use of antiretroviral therapy in adults (API-ART guidelines). Endorsed by the AIDS Society of India. Journal Association of Physicians in India, 54, 57–74.Google Scholar
- Hospitals, A. (2007). retrieved January 30, 2007 from www.telemedicine.org
- NACO (2007). Annual HIV sentinel suruveillance country report, 2006. http://www.nacoonline.org/upload/NACO%20PDF/HIV%20Sentinel%20Surveillance%202006_india%20country%20report.pdf. (Accessed Novemeber 28, 2007)
- Indian Network of Positive Living with HIV/AIDS, I. (2003). Petition to ban a fraudulant HIV/AIDS drug. Retrieved January 30, 2007, from http://www.pucl.org/Topics/Industries-envirn-resettlement/2003/hiv.htm
- Kumar, R., Jha, P., Arora, P., Mony, P., Bhatia, P., Millson, P., Dhingra,N., Bhattacharya, M., Remis, R. S., & Nagelkerke, N. for the International Studies of HIV/AIDS (ISHA) (2006). Trends in HIV-1 in young adults in south India from 2000 to 2004: a prevalence study. The Lancet, 367, 1164–1172.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kumarasamy, N., Safren, S. A., Raminani, S. R., Pickard, R., Romola, J., Sri Krishnan, A. K., Solomon, S., & Mayer, K. H. (2005). Barriers and facilitators to antiretroviral medication adherence among patients with HIV in Chennai, India: a qualitative study. AIDS Patient Care and STDs, 19, 526–537.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Lakshmi, R. Getting AIDS Education on track in India. (December 7, 2007). The Washington Post, p.A29.Google Scholar
- Madhivanan, P., Hernandez, A., Gogate, A., Stein, E., Gregorich, S., Setia, M., Kumta, S., Ekstrand, M., Mathur, M., Jerajani, H., & Lindan, C. P. (2005). Alcohol use by men is a risk factor for the acquisition of sexually transmitted infections and human immunodeficiency virus from female sex workers in Mumbai, India. Sexually Transmitted Diseases, 32, 685–690.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Mallal, S. A., John, M., Moore, C. B., , Lindan, C, I. R., & McKinnon, E. J. (2000). Contribution of nucleoside analogue reverse transcriptase inhibitors to subcutaneous fat wasting in patients with HIV infection. AIDS, 14, 1309–1316.Google Scholar
- Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, C. B.O. I., Government of India. (2006). Retrieved July 20, 2007, from http://www.hsprodindia.nic.in/sear_desc1.asp?SD=27&SI=20&ROT=1&qryAll=Kerala
- NACO, (2001). National Baseline High Risk and Bridge Population Behavioural Surveillance Survey-2001 Part -I(FSW and their clients), from http://www.nacoonline.org/publication/41.pdf
- NACO, (2005). Social Assessment of HIV/AIDS among tribals in India. Retrieved July 5, 2007, from http://www.nacoonline.org/socialassessmentNACP.pdf
- NACO, (2006). HIV/AIDS: Indian Scenario. Retrieved September 25, 2006, from www.nacoonline.org
- NACO (2007). Annual HIV sentinel surveillance country report, 2006. http://www.nacoonline.org/upload/NACO%20PDF/HIV%20Sentinel%20Surveillance%202006_India%20country%20report.pdf. (Accessed Novemeber 28, 2007)
- NACO, (2001–2002). HIV/AIDS Survey Indicators Database HIV/AIDS Indicators Country Report India 2001–2002. Retrieved Jan 28, 2007, from http://www.measuredhs.com/hivdata/start.cfm
- NHFS-3 (2007). http://www.nfhsindia.org/nfhs3_national_report.html. Accessed on November 11, 2007.
- Over, M., Heywood, P., Gold, J., Gupta, I., Hira, S., & Marseille, E. (2004). HIV/AIDS Treatment and Prevention in India: Modeling the cost and consequences. Washington, D.C.: The World Bank.Google Scholar
- Palaniswamy P; (2002). Self-help for building self-esteem among Kothi’s (MSM) of Chennai. International Conference on AIDS 2002, July 7–12; abstract no. C10794.Google Scholar
- Panchanadeswaran, S., Johnson, S. C., Sivaram, S., Srikrishnan, A. K., Latkin, C., Bentley, M. E., Solomon, S., Go, V. F., & Celantano, D. (2008). Intimate partner violence is as important as client violence in increasing street-based female sex worker’s vulnerability to HIV is India. The International Journal of Drug Policy, 19(2), 106–112.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Panda, S., Chatterjee, A., Bhattacharjee, S., Ray, B., Saha, M. K., & Bhattacharya, S. K. (1998). HIV, hepatitis B and sexual practices in the street-recruited injecting drug users of Calcutta: risk perception versus observed risks. International Journal of STD and AIDS, 9(4):214–218.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Panda, S., Kumar, M. S., Lokabiraman, S., Jayashree, K., Satagopan, M. C., Solomon, S., et al. (2005). Risk factors for HIV infection in injection drug users and evidence for onward transmission of HIV to their sexual partners in Chennai, India. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome, 39, 9–15.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Pandya, S., & Noronha, E. (2004). A baseline understanding of MSM commercial sex activity at Mumbai truck terminals. Paper presented at the 15th International AIDS Conference, July 11–16. 2004, Bangkok, Thailand (Abstract WePpC2070). http://www.nacoonline.org/upload/NACO%20PDF/HIV%20Sentinel%20Surveillance%202006_India%20Country%20Report.pdf
- PSI, (2003). Balbir Pasha: HIV/AIDS Campaign is the talk of Mumbai. Retrieved January 30, 2007, from http://www.psi.org/resources/pubs/balbir-pasha.pdf
- Ramchandani, S. R., Mehta, S. H., Saple, D. G., Vaidya, S. B., Pandey, V. P., Vadrevu, R., Rajasekaran, S., Bhatia, V., Chowdhary, A., Bollinger, R.C., & Gupta, A. (2007). Knowledge, attitudes and practices of antiretroviral therapy among HIV-infected adults attending private and public clinics in India. AIDS Patient Care, 21, 129–142.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Rao, K. S., Pilli, R. D., Rao, A. S., & Chalam, P. S. (1999). Sexual lifestyle of long distance lorry drivers in India: questionnaire survey. British Medical Journal, 5, 1559.Google Scholar
- Reuters (2007). Nearly half of Indian women have not heard of AIDS. Retrieved December 20, 2007 http://www.reuters.com/article/homepageCrisis/idUSDEL76280._CH_.2400.
- Ramakant, B. (2001). Retrieved July 20, 2007, fromhttp://www.sawf.org/newedit/edit 03192001/health.asp.
- UNAIDS (2006). 2006 Report on the Global AIDS Epidemic: http://www.unaids.org/en/knowledgecentre/HIVData/GlobalReport/Default.asp.Accessed May 16, 2007.
- UNAIDS (2007). Revised estimates show lower HIV prevalence in India (2007). http://www.unaids.org/en/knowledgeCentreResources/FeatureStories/archive/2007/20070704_India_new_data.asp
- UNODC (2007). World Drug Report. Vienna: UNODC.Google Scholar
- Vijakumari, J.J., Udayakumari, P., Rukmini, R., & Samuel, N.M. (2002) Issues in MTCT program at Namakkal, South India. Internationl Conference on AIDS. 2002 July 7–12; 14: abstract no. WePeF6738.Google Scholar
- WHO, (2001). Intimate Partner Violence and HIV/AIDS., from http://www.who.int/gender/violence/en/vawinformationbrief.pdf
- WHO, W. H. O., South east Asia Regional Office. (2003). Expanding Access to HIV/AIDS Treatment in India. Retrieved January 31, 2007, from http://www.searo.who.int/LinkFiles/Publications_MissionReportIndia.pdf
- World Health Organization, S. E. A. R. O. (2003). Expanding Access to HIV/AIDS Treatment in India. Retrieved January 31, 2007, from http://www.searo.who.int/LinkFiles/Publications_MissionReportIndia.pdf
- YRG CARE (2007). Expanding Care and Support in South India. Retrieved November 17, 2007. www.yrgcare.org
© Springer Science+Business Media, LLC 2008