Treatment plans are the central tool for accountability in the psychotherapy process: accountability to the patients, to the insurance companies, to the referring physicians, to the nursing home or assisted-living facilities, and to us, the therapists. Through this tool, we briefly state in writing why we are using psychotherapy, what we hope to accomplish, how we hope to accomplish it, and when we hope to accomplish it.
Qualities of Treatment Plans.Constructing a treatment plan is a therapeutic intervention in itself. As a patient and therapist work toward a plan together, they engage in a forthright discussion of the problem(s), what steps will be required to address the issues of concern, and how will they recognize when the treatment has been successful. The therapist must listen to the older adult’s unique expressions of distress: his or her “voice” may be influenced by age cohort, educational level, geographic and language origins, race and...
KeywordsNursing Home Treatment Plan Insurance Payer Insurance Carrier Behavioral Definition
- Bennett,B. E.,Bricklin,P. M.,Harris,E.,Knapp,S.,VandeCreek,L., &Younggren,J. N.(2006). Assessing and managing risk in psychological practice: An individualized approach. MD: The Trust.Rockville,Google Scholar
- Carstensen,L. L.,Edelstein,B. A., &Dornbrand,L.(1996). The practical handbook of clinical gerontology. CA: Sage.Thousand Oaks,Google Scholar
- Carstensen,L. L., &Fisher,J. E.(1991). Treatment applications for psychological and behavioral problems of the elderly in nursing homes. InWisocki (Eds.),P. A.Handbook of clinical behavior therapy with the elderly client. Plenum.New York:Google Scholar
- Empire Medicare CMS Local Coverage Determination, LCD for Mental Health Services http://www.empiremedicare.com/newypolicy/policy/L3671_final.htm#31Google Scholar
- Frazer,D. W., &Jongsma,A. E.(1999). The older adult psychotherapy treatment planner. Wiley.New York:Google Scholar
- Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations. (1999). 1999–2000 Standards for Behavioral Health Care. Oakbrook Terrace, IL: Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations.Google Scholar
- Lichtenberg,P. A.(1994). A guide to psychological practice in geriatric long term care. Haworth.New York:Google Scholar
- Niederehe,G., &Schneider,L. S.(1998). Treatments for depression and anxiety in the aged. InNathan &P. E.Gorman (Eds.),J. M.A guide to treatments that work. Oxford.New York:Google Scholar