Policies and Reimbursement: Meeting the Need for Mental Health Care in Long-Term Care
Almost 40% of older adults will spend some portion of their lives in a long-term care (LTC) facility (Seperson, 2002). For reasons outlined in this chapter, mental health services are in high demand in LTC settings. This chapter briefly summarizes the demographics of the LTC population and their mental health needs. The chapter also reviews the public policies and reimbursement parameters that make psychology services in LTC viable and rewarding.
Mental Illness in Long-Term Care Residents
The proportion of nursing home (NH) residents with mental health problems is astounding. Estimates of mental illness, including dementia diagnoses, are roughly 65-80% (Burns et al., 1993). Excluding those with dementia, the prevalence rate is ~20%, which remains far higher than seen in community-dwelling populations. However, an insufficient number of residents are receiving mental health care. One study reported that less than 20% of those diagnosed with a mental illness in a NH received treatment...
KeywordsNursing Home Mental Health Service Mental Health Care Nursing Home Resident Medical Necessity
- AARP Public Policy Institute. (February, 2001). Nursing homes: Fact sheet.http://www.aarp.org/research/longtermcare/nursinghomes/aresearch-import-669-FS10R.html
- Cohen, G. D., Blank, K., Cohen, C. I., Gaitz, C., Liptzin, B., & Maletta, G., et al. (2003). Mental health problems in assisted living facilities: The physician's role in treatment and staff education. Geriatrics, 58, (2)44, 54–55.Google Scholar
- American Psychological Association. (2000). Medicare handbook: A guide for psychologists. http://www.apapractice.org.
- Seperson , S. B. (2002). Demographics about aging. In S. B. Seperson & C. Hegeman (Eds.), Elder care and service learning: A handbook. Westport, CT: Auburn House.Google Scholar
- Tanaka, P. K. (2003). Easy coder: Psychiatry/psychology. Montgomery: Unicor Medical Inc.Google Scholar
- MAC's draft LCDs:http://www.cms.hhs.gov/mcd/
- Medicare Administrative Contrators list:http: //www.cms.hhs.gov/MedicareContractingReform/
- Office of the Inspector General Reports: http://www.hhs.gov/oig/oei
- Psychologists in Long-Term Care Web site: http://www.wvu.edu/~pltc