Virtual Organization Management in XtreemOS: an Overview
XtreemOS aims to build and promote a Linux based operating system to provide native Virtual Organization (VO) support in the next generation Grids. XtreemOS takes a different approach from many existing Grid middleware by: first, recognizing the fundamental role of VO in Grid computing and hence taking VO support into account from the very beginning of our design; and, second, getting around the overheads brought by layers of existing Grid middleware by enabling native VO support in the Linux operating system. This paper presents our vision of VOs in a Grid operating system and describes various aspects of VO management in our system architecture, ranging from lifecycle management, application execution management, security, to node-level enforcement mechanisms in operating system.
KeywordsAccess Control Policy Language Virtual Organization Policy Enforcement Point Strong Isolation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ian Foster, Carl Kesselman and Steven Tuecke. The Anatomy of the Grid Enabling Scalable Virtual Organizations. http://www.globus.org/alliance/publications/papers/anatomy.pdf
- XtreemOS consortium. Requirements and specification of XtreemOS services for Application Execution Management. Deliverable D3.3.1, November 2006. http://www.xtreemos.org/publications/public-deliverables/.
- XtreemOS consortium. Requirements Capture and Use Case Scenarios. Deliverable D4.2.1, January 2007. http://www.xtreemos.org/publications/public-deliverables/.
- XtreemOS consortium. The XtreemOS File System. Requirements and Reference Architecture. Deliverable D3.4.1, December 2006. http://www.xtreemos.org/publications/public-deliverables/.
- DataGrid VOMS (release v0.7.1). http://edg-wp2.web.cern.ch/edg-wp2/security/voms/
- CAS in Globus 4.2. http://www.globus.org/toolkit/docs/development/4.2-drafts/security/cas/
- Andrew G. Morgan and Thorsten Kukuk. The Linux-PAM guides. http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/libs/pam/Linux-PAM-html/.