Supporting Workflow-level PS Applications by the P-GRADE Grid portal
Workflow applications are frequently used in many production Grids. There is a natural need to run the same workflow with many different parameter sets. P-GRADE portal has been providing a high-level, graphical workflow development and execution environment for various Grids (EGEE, UK NGS, GIN VO, OSG, TeraGrid, etc.) built on second and third generation Grid technologies (GT2, LCG-2, GT4, gLite). Feedback from the user communities of the portal showed that parameter study support is highly needed and hence the recent release (2.5) of the portal supports the workflow-level parameter study applications. The current paper describes the semantics and implementation principles of managing and executing workflows as parameter studies. Special emphasis is on the generation of the parameter input files, concurrent management of large number of files and jobs as well as collecting the large number of results generated at the PS execution time.
KeywordsParameter Study Input Port Grid Resource Storage Resource Executable Code
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Casanova, H., Obertelli, G., Berman, F. and Wolski, R., The AppLeS Parameter Sweep Template: User-Level Middleware for the Grid, Proceedings of the Super Computing (SC 2002) Conference, Dallas / USA, 2002.Google Scholar
- Abramson, D., Giddy, J., and Kotler, L., High Performance Parametric Modeling with Nimrod/G: Killer Application for the Global Grid?, IPDPS’2000, Mexico, IEEE CS Press, USA, 2000.Google Scholar
- Yarrow, M., McCann, K. M., Tejnil, E., and deVivo, A., Production-Level Distributed Parametric Study Capabilities for the Grid, Grid Computing - GRID 2001 Workshop Proceedings, Denver, CO, November 2001.Google Scholar
- McCann, K. M., Yarrow, M., deVivo, A. and Mehrotra P., ScyFlow: An Environment for the Visual Specification and Execution of Scientific Workflows, GGF10 Workshop on Workflow in Grid Systems, Berlin, 2004.Google Scholar
- N. Currle-Linde, F. Boes, P. Lindner, J. Pleiss and M.M. Resch, A Management System for Complex Parameter Studies and Experiments in Grid Computing, in: Proc. of the 16th IASTED Intl. Conf. on PDCS (ed.: T. Gonzales), Acta Press, 2004.Google Scholar
- P. Kacsuk, T. Kiss and G. Sipos, Solving the Grid Interoperability Problem by P-GRADE Portal at Workflow Level, Proc. of the Grid-Enabling Legacy Applications and Supporting End User Workshop, in conjunction with HPDC’06, Paris, pp. 3-7, 2005.Google Scholar
- T. Delaitre, et al., GEMLCA: Running Legacy Code Applications as Grid Services, Journal of Grid Computing, Vol. 3, No. 1-2, pp. 75-90, 2005Google Scholar
- A. Kertesz and P. Kacsuk, Grid Meta-Broker Architecture: Towards an Interoperable Grid Resource Brokering Service, CoreGRID Workshop on Grid Middleware in Conjunction with EuroPar’06, Dresden, 2006.Google Scholar