A Component Framework for Application Web Services
We present the architecture and application of VGE-CCA, a distributed component framework that is layered atop a Web service based Grid environment. The framework implements the CCA component model and utilizes the Vienna Grid Environment (VGE) as underlying middleware. In this paper, we introduce the concept of application specific component libraries that can be easily plugged into the container. Moreover, we report work on coupling distributed and concurrently running application components that are dynamically assembled and executed as single application composites by clients. For co-scheduling the various application components, the system makes use of advance resource reservation as provided by the VGE QoS module. Furthermore, we discuss the component and composition model as well as its application to a service-oriented architecture.
KeywordsGrid Service Grid Infrastructure Application Component Component Library Component Framework
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- The AneurIST Project. www.aneurist.org/.
- F. Baude, D. Caromel, and M. Morel. From Distributed Objects to Hierarchical Grid Components. International Symposium on Distributed Objects and Applications (DOA), Catania, Italy, 2003.Google Scholar
- S. Benkner, G. Berti, G. Engelbrecht, J. Fingberg, G. Kohring, S. Middleton, and R. Schmidt. GEMSS: Grid Infrastructure for Medical Service Provision. Journal of Methods of Information in Medicine, 44, 2005.Google Scholar
- S. Benkner, I. Brandic, G. Engelbrecht, and R. Schmidt. VGE - A Service-Oriented Grid Environment for On-Demand Supercomputing. In Proceedings of the Fifth IEEE/ACM International Workshop on Grid Computing, November Pittsburgh, PA, USA, 2004.Google Scholar
- D. E. Bernholdt et al. A Component Architecture for High-Performance Scientific Computing. Intl. J. High-Perf. Computing Appl., 2006.Google Scholar
- The Common Component Architecture Forum. http://www.cca-forum.org.
- K. Doerner, R. Hartl, S. Benkner, M. Lucka. Cooperative Savings based Ant Colony Optimization - Multiple Search and Decomposition Approaches, Parallel Processing Letters, 2005.Google Scholar
- I. Foster, A. Savva, D. Berry, A. Djaoui, A. Grimshaw, B. Horn, F. Maciel, F. Siebenlist, R. Subramaniam, J. Treadwell, and J. V. Reich. The Open Grid Services Architecture, Version 1.0. GGF OGSA Working Group (OGSA-WG), 2005.Google Scholar
- N. Furmento, J. Hau, W. Lee, S. Newhouse, and J. Darlington. Implementations of a Service-Oriented Architecture on Top of Jini, JXTA and OGSI. In Second Across Grids Conference, 2004.Google Scholar
- D. Gannon, R. Ananthakrishnan, S. Krishnan, M. Govindaraju, L. Ramakrishnan, and A. Slominski. Grid Computing: Making the Global Infrastructure a Reality, chapter 9, Grid Web Services and Application Factories. Wiley, 2003.Google Scholar
- D. Gannon, R. Bramley, G. Fox, S. Smallen, A. Rossi, R. Ananthakrishnan, F. Bertrand, K. Chiu, M. Farrellee, M. Govindaraju, S. Krishnan, L. Ramakrishnan, Y. Simmhan, A. Slominski, Y. Ma, C. Olariu, and N. Rey-Cenvaz. Programming the Grid: Distributed Software Components, P2P and Grid Web Services for Scientific Applications. J. Cluster Computing, 5(3):325-336, 2002.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- M. Govindaraju, M. R. Head, and K. Chiu. XCAT-C++: Design and Performance of a Distributed CCA Framework. The 12th Annual IEEE International Conference on High Performance Computing (HiPC) 2005, Goa, India, December 18-21.Google Scholar
- S. Krishnan and D. Gannon. XCAT3: A Framework for CCA Components as OGSA Services. In Proceedings of the 9th International Workshop on High-Level Parallel Programming Models and Supportive Environments (HIPS 2004). IEEE , 2004.Google Scholar
- M. Malawski, D. Kurzyniec, and V. Sunderam. Mocca - Towards a Distributed CCA Framework for Metacomputing. In IPDPS ’05: Proceedings of the 19th IEEE International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium (IPDPS’05), page 174.1, 2005.Google Scholar
- C. Pérez, T. Priol, A. Ribes. Paco++: A Parallel Object Model for High Performance Distributed Systems. 37th Hawaii Intern. Conf. on System Sciences (HICSS-37), 2004.Google Scholar
- R. Schmidt, M. R. Head, M. Govindaraju, M. J. Lewis, and S. Benkner. Design and Implementation Choices for Implementing Distributed CCA Frameworks. in GECOCOMPFRAME06: Workshop HPC Grid programming Environments and COmponents and Component and Framework Technology in High-Performance and Scientific Computing (at HPDC-15), Paris, France, June 2006.Google Scholar