Herpes Simplex Virus: Treatment with Antimicrobial Peptides
The herpes virus infection represents a significant challenge for public health. The innate immunity plays an important role in herpes simplex virus (HSV) elimination. The innate antiviral immunity has not been comprehensively studied. The recent investigations demonstrate that Toll-like receptors are actively involved in the virus recognition. The complement and natural antibodies, as well as cytokines and antimicrobial peptides, are the first molecules to bind to virions. In this chapter, some mechanisms of the innate antiviral immunity are discussed and treatment regimens are proposed. The complex of native cytokines and antimicrobial peptides (CCAP or Superlymph) proved to inhibit the virus reproduction in vitro. Protegrines, as a CCAP component, were active against the virus. Considering all the data, we conclude that the complex of native cytokines and antimicrobial peptides produces both immunomodulating and antiviral effects.
KeywordsNatural Killer Cell Antimicrobial Peptide Herpes Simplex Virus Type Antiviral Effect Genital Herpes
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Barinskii, I.F., Posevaia, T.A., Shabalina, N.V. and Nikitina A.A. (2005) Herpes virus infection in patients with chronic glomerulonephritis. Vopr. Virusol. (Russ.) 50, 35–37.Google Scholar
- Herbst-Kralovetzl, M.M. and Pyles, R.B. (2006) Toll-like receptors, innate immunity and HSV pathogenesis. Herpes 13, 37–41.Google Scholar
- Hugseyin Baskin, H., Ellermann-Eriksen, S., Lovmand, J. and Mogensen, S.C. (1997) Herpes simplex virus type 2 synergizes with interferon-c in the induction of nitric oxide production in mouse macrophages through autocrine secretion of tumour necrosis factor-α . J. Gen. Virol. 78, 195–203.Google Scholar
- Kokriakov, V.N., Koval’chuk, L.V., Aleshina, G.M. and Shamova, O.V. (2006) Cationic antimicrobial peptides as molecular immunity factors: multi-functionality. Zh. Mikrobiol. Epidemiol. Immunobiol. (Russ.) 2, 98–105.Google Scholar
- Koval’chuk, L.V., Gankovskaia, L.V., Moroz, A.F., Avedova, T.A. and Ukhina, T.V. (2004) Antistaphylococcal activity of the complex of natural cytokines. Zh. Mikrobiol. Epidemiol. Immunobiol. (Russ.) 1, 55–59.Google Scholar