An Integrated Approach to the Long-Term Planning Process in the Copper Mining Industry
Long-term mine-metallurgy planning in the copper mining industry is a complex process that simultaneously establishes ore extraction policies for multiple mines, an investment plan, and an operating plan for processing plants such concentrators, smelters, and refineries. These strategic plans must specify extraction and processing decisions for each cubic meter of mine ore while maintaining their consistency with medium- and long-term objectives.
KeywordsInvestment Plan Copper Production Mine Planning Blister Copper Copper Industry
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Brazil, M., D. Lee, J.H Rubinstein, D.A Thomas, J.F Weng, N.C Wormald. 2002. A network model to optimise cost in underground mine design. South African Institute of Electrical Engineers 93, 97-103.Google Scholar
- Brazil, M., D. Lee, J. H. Rubinstein, D. A. J. F. Thomas, Weng N. C. Wormald. 2005. Optimisation in the Design of Underground Mine Access”, Orebody Modeling and Strategic Mine Planning. Uncertainty and Risk Management in Orebody Modeling and Strategic Mine Planning: Spectrum Series Volume 14, Melbourne, Australia: Australasian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy. 121-124.Google Scholar
- Carlyle, M., B.C. Eaves.2001. Underground planning at Stillwater Mining Company. Interfaces, 31(4), 50-60.Google Scholar
- Caldentey R., R. Epstein, D. Sauré. 2006. Real Option Approach for Valuating Long-term Planning in the Mining Industry. Working paper.Google Scholar
- Dow, P. A., A. H. Onur. 1992. Optimising open pit design and sequencing. Proceedings of the 23rd International. APCOM Symposium, 411-422.Google Scholar
- R. Epstein, Gaete S, Caro F, Weintraub A, Santibañez P, Catalan J. 2003. Optimizing Long Term Planning for Underground Copper Mines. Internacional Copper Conference (2003), Copper 2003 - Cobre 2003.Google Scholar
- Huttagosol, P., R. Cameron. 1992. A computer design of ultimate pit limit by using transportation algorithm. Proceedings of the 23rd International. APCOM Symposium, 443-460.Google Scholar
- Koenigsberg, E. 1982. The optimum contours of an open pit mine: An application of dynamic programming. Proceedings of the 17th International. APCOM Symposium, 274-287.Google Scholar
- Lane K.F. 1988. The Economic Definition of Ore. London, Mining Journal Books Limited.Google Scholar
- Lerchs, H., I. F. Grossmann. 1965. Optimum design of open-pit mines. Transactions, C.I.M. LXVIII 17-24.Google Scholar
- Robinson, R. H., N. B. Prenn. 1977. An open pit design model. Proceedings of the 15th International. APCOM Symposium, 1-9.Google Scholar
- Zhao, Y., Y. C. Kim. 1992. A new optimum pit limit design algorithm. Proceedings 23rd International. APCOM Symposium, 423-434.Google Scholar