Long- and Short-Term Production Scheduling at Lkab's Kiruna Mine
LKAB’s Kiruna mine is an underground sublevel caving mine located above the Arctic circle in northern Sweden. The iron ore mine currently uses a longterm production scheduling model to strategically plan its ore extraction sequence. In this chapter, we describe how we modify this model to consider several different levels of time resolution in the short- versus long-term, and provide guidance for increasing model tractability. We demonstrate numerically the increase in schedule quality and model tractability as a result of these modifications.
KeywordsProduction Schedule Machine Placement Production Block Mine Planner Early Start Date
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Almgren, T. (1994). An Approach to Long Range Production and Development Planning with Application to the Kiruna Mine, University of Technology, Sweden, Luleǻ, Doctoral Thesis Number 1994:143D.Google Scholar
- AMPL Optimization LLC. (2001). AMPL, Version 10.6.16. www.ampl.com.
- Carlyle, M. and B.C. Eaves. (2001). Underground planning at Stillwater Mining Company, Interfaces 31(4): 50-60.Google Scholar
- Dagdelen, K., M. Kuchta, and E. Topal. (2002). Linear programming model applied to scheduling of iron ore production at the Kiruna Mine, Kiruna, Sweden, Transactions of the Society for Mining, Metallurgy, and Exploration 312: 194-198.Google Scholar
- Fourer, R., D. Gay, and B. W. Kernighan. (2003). AMPL: A Modeling Language for Mathematical Programming, Thompson Learning, Pacific Grove, CA.Google Scholar
- ILOG Corporation. (2003). CPLEX, Version 9.0. www.ilog.com.
- Kuchta, M., A. Newman, and E. Topal. (2003). Production scheduling at LKAB's Kiruna Mine using mixed integer programming, Mining Engineering April, 35-40.Google Scholar
- Martinez, M., A. Newman, and M. Kuchta. (2005). Using Decomposition to Optimize Long-and Short-Term Production Planning at an Underground Mine, Working Paper, Division of Economics and Business and Mining Engineering Department, Colorado School of Mines, Golden, CO, November.Google Scholar
- Smith, M.L. (1998). Optimizing short-term production schedules in surface mining: Integrating mine modeling software with AMPL/CPLEX, International Journal of Surface Mining 12(4): 149-155.Google Scholar
- Smith, M.L., Sheppard, I. and G. Karunatillake. (2003). Using MIP for strategic life-of-mine planning of the lead/zinc stream at Mount Isa Mines, in Proceedings, 31st International Symposium on the Application of Computers in the Mineral Industry, Capetown, South Africa: 465-474.Google Scholar
- Topal, E. (1998). Long and Short Term Production Scheduling of the Kiruna Iron Ore Mine, Kiruna, Sweden, Master of Science Thesis, Colorado School of Mines, Golden, CO.Google Scholar
- Topal, E. (2003). Advanced Underground Mine Scheduling using Mixed Integer Program-ming, Ph.D. Dissertation, Colorado School of Mines, Golden, CO.Google Scholar
- Trout, L.P. (1995). Underground mine production scheduling using mixed integer programming, in Proceedings, 25th International Symposium on the Application of Computers in the Mineral Industry, Brisbane, Australia: 395-400.Google Scholar
- Winkler, B.M. (1996). Using MILP to optimize period fix costs in complex mine sequencing and scheduling problems, in Proceedings, 26th International Symposium on the Application of Computers in the Mineral Industry, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA: 441-446.Google Scholar