Performance Evaluation of EVRC-Encoded Voice Traffic over CDMA EVDO Rev. A
Although CDMA EVDO Rev. A provides significant improvements over EVDO Release 0 that make it well suited for VoIP-like applications , it remains unclear about its performance in terms of quantitative evaluations with different real implementation scenarios. To understand the system design tradeoffs, we first investigate the traffic characteristics of EVRC-encoded real voice traces and we find that the correlation structure of voice traffic exhibits strong long-range dependency. We further observe that the burst length distribution of voice traffic is heavy tailed. In the major part of our study, we examine the tradeoff between the initial playout delay and the voice quality for real voice traces over CDMA EVDO Rev. A. We also examine the tradeoff between voice quality and different RF conditions. Additionally, we address the performance aspects of voice traffic over CDMA EVDO Rev. A with adaptive frame bundling (AFB) techniques and the impact of different treatments of the eighth rate frames for EVRC-encoded voice traffic. Finally, we examine the impact of hard handoff and random frame errors on voice quality for EVRC-encoded voice traffic over CDMA EVDO Rev. A.
KeywordsPacket Loss Packet Loss Rate Voice Quality Burst Length Voice Traffic
The authors would like to thank Jim Ashley for the voice traces, Mike Kirk and Raghu Hariharan for PESQ tool and some other tools to measure MOS score, Edgardo Cruz for EVRC software, Rangsan Leelahakriengkrai for various support during this project. The authors would also like to thank Mehmet Yavuz and Chong Lee at Qualcomm Inc. for valuable comments on the paper. Lastly, Fulu Li and Andrew Lippman would also like to thank the Digital Life consortium at MIT Media Lab for the support.
- 1.T. Dang, B. Sonkoly, S. Molnar, “Fractal Analysis and Modeling of VoIP traffic” in the proceeding of NETWORKS ‘2004.Google Scholar
- 2.VoIP over 1X EVDO at http://www.airvananet.com/files/VoIP_over_EVDO.pdf
- 3.M. Yavuz, S. Diaz, R. Kapoor, M. Grob, P. Black, Y. Tokgoz, C. Lott, “VOIP over CDMA2000 1xEV-DO Revision A”, IEEE Communications Magazine, Feb. 2006.Google Scholar
- 4.A. Jalali, R. Padovani, R. Pankaj, “Data Throughput of CDMA-HDR: A High-Efficiency High-Data-Rate Personal Communication Wireless Systems”, in the Proc. of IEEE VTC 2000 (Spring).Google Scholar
- 5.D. Tse, “Forward Link Multiuser Diversity Through Rate Adaptation and Scheduling”, submitted for publication to IEEE JSAC.Google Scholar
- 7.Enhanced Variable Rate Codec (EVRC) at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EVRC
- 8.EVRC: the Savior of CDMA at http://www.arcx.com/sites/EVRC.htm
- 9.M. McDonald, “EVRC: Best of Both Worlds”, at http://telephonyonline.com/wireless/ mag/wireless_evrc_best_worlds/
- 10.J. Ash, B. Goode, J. Hand, “ Requirements for End-to-End VoIP Header Compression”, at http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/03jul/slides/avt-12.pdf
- 11.P. Mehta, S. Udani, “Overview of Voice Over IP”, Technical Report, Univ. of Pennsylvania, Feb. 2001.Google Scholar