Triptolide Alters Mitochondrial Functions
Triptolide (TPL), a small molecule purified from the herb Tripterygium wilfordii, has potential clinical application for suppression of chronic autoimmune disorders and inhibition of tumor growth. However, its mechanism of action is largely unknown. In this study, the effect of TPL on mitochondria was explored with a panel of molecular probes that detect the alteration of mitochondrial functions. When Lewis lung carcinoma (LLC) cells were treated with different doses of TPL for four hours, impaired mitochondrial functions were detected. This included an increased production of reactive oxygen species, the opening of the transition pore of mitochondria, the depolarization of the mitochondria membrane, the inhibition of the production of ATP and increased release of ATP as well as the induction of apoptosis. It is likely that by impairment of mitochondrial function, TPL exerts its inhibitory effect on growth of tumor and progression of inflammatory disease.
KeywordsPulmonary Arterial Hypertension Mitochondrial Function Annexin Versus Mitochondrial Permeability Transition Pore Lewis Lung Cancer Cell
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 7.X. C. Tao, V. Pinyopornpanit, J. Younger, J. J. Cai, Y. Mao, L. Ma, S. Chang, P. E. Lipsky, A Phase I/II double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of an extract of Tripterygium wilfordiiHook f. shows benefit in patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Abstract, American College of Rheumatology, 65th Ann. Mtg., San Francisco, CA., Nov. 11-17, 2001. Arthritis Rheum. 44(suppl.).Google Scholar
- 12.G. Zhao, L. T. Vaszar, D. Qiu, L. Shi, P. N. Kao, Anti-inflammatory effects of triptolide in human bronchial epithelial cells, Am. J. Physiol. Lung Cell Mol. Physiol. 279(5), L958-L966 (2000).Google Scholar
- 14.D. Qiu, G. Zhao, Y. Aoki, L. Shi, A. Uyei, S. Nazarian, J. C. Ng, P. N. Kao, Immunosuppressant PG490 (triptolide) inhibits T-cell interleukin-2 expression at the level of purine-box/nuclear factor of activated T-cells and NF-kappaB transcriptional activation, J. Biol. Chem. 274(19), 13443-13450 (1999).PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 20.J. Y. Xu, J. Yang, L. Z. Li, Antitumor effect of Tripterygium wilfordii, Chung Kuo. Chung His. I. Chieh Ho. Tsa. Chih. 12(3), 161 (1992).Google Scholar
- 22.The Invitrogen online catalog, accessed 6/18/05. http://probes.invitrogen.com/media/publications/508.pdf Google Scholar
- 23.V. Petronilli, G. Miotto, M. Canton, M. Brini, R. Colonna, P. Bernardi, F. Di Lisa, Transient and long-lasting openings of the mitochondrial permeability transition pore can be monitored directly in intact cells by changes in mitochondrial calcein fluorescence, Biophys. J. 76(2), 725-734 (1999).PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar