Identifying and Exploiting Group Learning Patterns for Counterterrorism
In this chapter, we describe a model for analyzing organizational learning in terrorist groups and suggest ways in which such a model can support counterterrorism analysis within the law enforcement and intelligence communities. Specifically, we discuss how such a model can contribute to the design of terrorism informatics and data analysis efforts.
KeywordsTacit Knowledge Organizational Learning Explicit Knowledge Group Learn Terrorist Group
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Argyris, C. and D. Schön, Organizational Learning: A Theory of Action Perspective, Reading: Addison-Wesley, 1978.Google Scholar
- Argyris, C. and D. Schön, Organizational Learning II: Theory, Method and Practice, Reading: Addison-Wesley, 1996.Google Scholar
- Cyert, R.M. and J. G. March, A Behavioral Theory of the Firm, Englewood Cliffs: Prentice Hall, 1963.Google Scholar
- Garratt, R., The Learning Organization, London: Fontana: Collins, 1987.Google Scholar
- Garvin, D.A., “Building a Learning Organization,” Harvard Business Review 71, July-August, 1993, pp.78-91.Google Scholar
- Hedberg, B. “How Organizations Learn and Unlearn” in Handbook of Organizational Design, Volume 1, P.C. Nyström and W.H. Starbuck, editors, Oxford: Oxford University Press, pp. 3-27, 1981.Google Scholar
- Huber, G.P., Organizational Learning:“The contributing process and the literatures,” Organizational Science 2, pp. 88-115.Google Scholar
- Kim, D.H., “The link between individual and organizational learning,” Sloan Management Review, Fall 1993, pp. 37-50.Google Scholar
- March, J.G. and J.P. Olsen, “The uncertainty of the past: Organizational learning under ambiguity,” European Journal of Policy Review 3:2, pp. 147-171, 1975.Google Scholar
- Miller, D., “A preliminary topology of organizational learning: Synthesizing the literature,” Journal of Management, 22:3, pp. 485-505,Google Scholar
- Senge, P. The Fifth Discipline: The art and practice of the learning organization, New York:Doubleday, 1990.Google Scholar