Co-Occurring Substance Abuse and Mental Health Disorders
Prevalence of co-occurring disorders.
Assessment and classification.
Development of a comprehensive treatment plan.
Standardized treatment intervention.
Common treatment themes.
Community corrections issues.
An integrated model.
KeywordsSubstance Abuse Mental Illness Personality Disorder Psychiatric Symptom Criminal Justice System
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Pepper B. Dual Disorders: Substance Abuse and Mental Illness. New York: The Information Exchange, Inc.; 2001.Google Scholar
- 2.Kuhn T. The structure of scientific revolutions. Chicago: University of Chicago Press; 1962.Google Scholar
- 5.Nace EP. Substance use disorders and personality disorders: comorbidity. Psychiatr Hosp 1989;20:65–69.Google Scholar
- 10.Onken LS, Blaine J, Genser S, Horton AM, eds. Treatment of Drug-Dependent People With Comorbid Mental Disorders. NIDA Research Monograph 172, NIH Publication No. 97-4172. Rockville, MD: National Institute on Drug Abuse; 1997.Google Scholar
- 11.American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 4th ed, text rev. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Association; 2000.Google Scholar
- 13.Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. Improving Services for People at Risk of, or With, Co-Occurring Substance-Related and Mental Health Disorders. Rockville, MD: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration; 1998.Google Scholar
- 14.Simpson DD, Sells SB. Effectiveness of treatment for drug abuse: an overview of the DARO research program. Adv Alcohol Subst Abuse 1982;2:7–29.Google Scholar
- 15.Hubbard RL, Marsden ME, Rachal JV, Harwood HJ, Cavanaugh ER, Ginsburg HM. Drug Abuse Treatment: A National Study of Effectiveness. Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press; 1989.Google Scholar
- 17.Hendrickson E, Schmal M. Dual Diagnosis Treatment: An 18-Year Perspective. Paper presented at the MISA conference, sponsored by MCP-Hahnemann University. Philadelphia: Hahnemann University; 2000.Google Scholar