What Do We Do with Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus in Surgery?
Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) is typical of the burden of antimicrobial resistance in nosocomial infections. S. aureus is one of the most frequent nosocomial pathogens, and the prevalence of methicillin resistance has been constantly rising among S. aureus strains over the last four decades. This has been responsible for an increase in length of hospital stay, treatment-related complications, costs, and, in some instances, attributable mortality.
KeywordsMethicillin Resistance Infect Control Hosp Intranasal Mupirocin European Antimicrobial Resistance Surveillance System Lococcus Aureus
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Anonymous (1995) Recommendations for preventing the spread of vancomycin resist ance. Recommendations of the Hospital Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee (HICPAC). MMWR Recomm Rep 44:1–13.Google Scholar
- Anonymous (2002) National Nosocomial Infections Surveillance (NNIS) System Report, data summary from January 1992 to June 2002, issued August 2002. Am J Infect Control 30:458–475.Google Scholar
- Anonymous (2004) National Nosocomial Infections Surveillance (NNIS) System Report, data summary from January 1992 through June 2004, issued October 2004. Am J Infect Control 32:470–485.Google Scholar
- Doebbeling BN, Breneman DL, Neu HC, Aly R, Yangco BG, Holley HP Jr, Marsh RJ, Pfaller MA, McGowan JE Jr, Scully BE (1993) Elimination of Staphylococcus aureus nasal carriage in health care workers: Analysis of six clinical trials with calcium mupirocin ointment. The Mupirocin Collaborative Study Group. Clin Infect Dis 17:466–474.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Engemann JJ, Carmeli Y, Cosgrove SE, Fowler VG, Bronstein MZ, Trivette SL, Briggs JP, Sexton DJ, Kaye KS (2003) Adverse clinical and economic outcomes attributable to methicillin resistance among patients with Staphylococcus aureus surgical site infection. Clin Infect Dis 36:592–598.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Faria NA, Oliveira DC, Westh H, Monnet DL, Larsen AR, Skov R, de Lencastre LH (2005) Epidemiology of emerging methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) in Denmark: A nationwide study in a country with low prevalence of MRSA infection. J Clin Microbiol 43:1836–1842.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Fernandez C, Gaspar C, Torrellas A, Vindel A, Saez-Nieto JA, Cruzet F, Aguilar L (1995) A double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled clinical trial to evaluate the safety and efficacy of mupirocin calcium ointment for eliminating nasal carriage of Staphylococcus aureus among hospital personnel. J Antimicrob Chemother 35:399–408.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Finkelstein R, Rabino G, Mashiah T, Bar-El Y, Adler Z, Kertzman V, Cohen O, Milo S (2002) Vancomycin versus cefazolin prophylaxis for cardiac surgery in the setting of a high prevalence of methicillin-resistant staphylococcal infections. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 123:326–332.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Hidron AI, Kourbatova EV, Halvosa JS, Terrell BJ, McDougal LK, Tenover FC, Blumberg HM, King MD (2005) Risk factors for colonization with methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) in patients admitted to an urban hospital: Emergence of community-associated MRSA nasal carriage. Clin Infect Dis 41:159–166.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Kalmeijer MD, Coertjens H, van Nieuwland-Bollen PM, Bogaers-Hofman D, de Baere GA, Stuurman A, van Belkum A, Kluytmans JA (2002) Surgical site infections in orthopedic surgery: The effect of mupirocin nasal ointment in a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled study. Clin Infect Dis 35:353–358.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Smith TL, Pearson ML, Wilcox KR, Cruz C, Lancaster MV, Robinson-Dunn B, Tenover FC, Zervos MJ, Band JD, White E, Jarvis WR (1999) Emergence of vancomycin resistance in Staphylococcus aureus. Glycopeptide-Intermediate Staphylococcus aureus Working Group. N Engl J Med 340:493–501.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- The European Antimicrobial Resistance Surveillance System (2004) EARSS Annual Report 2004. Accessed at http://www.rivm.nl/earss/result/Monitoring_reports/.
- Wernitz MH, Swidsinski S, Weist K, Sohr D, Witte W, Franke KP, Roloff D, Ruden H, Veit SK (2005) Effectiveness of a hospital-wide selective screening programme for methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) carriers at hospital admission to prevent hospital-acquired MRSA infections. Clin Microbiol Infect 11:457–465.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar