Geo-Neutrinos: from Theory to the KamLAND Results
Earth shines in antineutrinos produced from long-lived radioactive elements: detection of this signal can provide a direct test of the Bulk Silicate Earth (BSE) model and fix the radiogenic contribution to the terrestrial heat flow. In this paper we present a systematic approach to geo-neutrino production based on global mass balance, supplemented by a detailed geochemical and geophysical study of the region near the detector, in order to build theoretical constraints on the expected signal. We show that the prediction is weakly dependent on mantle modeling while it requires a good description of the crust composition in the region of the detector site. In 2005 the KamLAND experiment proved that the technique for exploiting geo-neutrinos in the investigation of the Earth’s interior is now available. After performing an analysis of KamLAND data which includes recent high precision measurements of the 13C(α, n)16O cross section, we discuss the potential of future experiments for assessing the amount of uranium and thorium in different reservoirs (crust, mantle and core) of the Earth.
KeywordsContinental Crust Lower Mantle KamLAND Collaboration Bulk Silicate Earth Uranium Mass
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Anderson, D.: 2005, Energetics of the Earth and the Missing Heat Source Mystery, available at www.mantleplumes.org/Energetics.html.Google Scholar
- Bassin, C., Laske, G. and Masters, G.: 2000, EOS Trans. Am. Geophys. Union 81, F897 [http://mahi.ucsd.edu/Gabi/rem.html].Google Scholar
- Fiorentini, G., Lissia, M., Mantovani, F. and Vannucci, R.: 2003b, Astroparticle and high energy physics AHEP2003/035 [arXiv:hep-ph/0401085].Google Scholar
- Fiorentini, G., Lissia, M., Mantovani, F. and Ricci, B.: 2003c, arXiv:physics/0305075.Google Scholar
- GERM: 2003, The Geochemical Earth Reference Model, is available on the web at http://earthref.org.Google Scholar
- Harissopulos, S. et al.: 2005, Phys. Rev. C 72, 06281 [arXiv:nucl-ex/0509014].Google Scholar
- JENDL: 2005, Japanese Evaluated Nuclear Data Library, http://wwwndc.tokai.jaeri.go.jp/jendl/.Google Scholar
- McDonough, W. F.: 2003, in R. W. Carlson (ed.), The Mantle and Core Vol. 2, H. D. Holland and K. K. Turekian (eds.), Treatise on Geochemistry, Elsevier-Pergamon, Oxford, pp. 547–568.Google Scholar
- O’Nions, R. K. and McKenzie, D.: 1993, Philos. Trans. R. Soc. London A 342, 65.Google Scholar
- Shaw, D. M., Cramer, J. J., Higgins, M. D. and Truscott, M. G.: 1986, in J. Dawson et al (eds.), The Nature of the Lower Continental Crust, Geological Society of London, London, p. 275.Google Scholar
- Taylor, S. R. and McLennan, S. M.: 1985. The Continental Crust: its Composition and Evolution, Blackwell Scientic, Oxford.Google Scholar
- Togashi, S. et al.: 2000, Geochem. Geophys. Geosyst. Electronic J. Earth Sci. 1, 2000GC00083.Google Scholar