Semantic Execution of BPEL Processes
Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) is an up-to-date software architecture, which is used in many areas of informatics today. There are lots of open standards and free tools which aim to realize the concepts of SOA. This paper introduces an approach by using a given collection of open standards and tools to realize a semantically enriched SOA architecture. The main building blocks of the architecture, the Web services, will be extended by a semantic description. The resulting SOA architecture and the services themselves will be called semantically enriched. For orchestration we use the OWL-S  standard. The choreography will be described in BPEL. The semantically enriched Web services run on an OWL-S Virtual Machine, while the complex processes, described in BPEL  on a BPEL run-time. Between the OWL-S invoke and BPEL description a special, self-developed mediator service will be used.
KeywordsService Orient Architecture Service Description Business Process Execution Language Mediator Service Semantic Execution
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.DARPA Agent Markup Language Working Group, “OWL-S: Semantic Markup for Web Services” at http://www.daml.org/services/owl-s/1.1/, 2004.11.
- 2.Business Process Execution Language for Web Services version 1.1“ at http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/library/specification/ws-bpel/2003.03.
- 3.Large Scale Distributed Information Systems (LSDIS) group, at http://lsdis.cs.uga.edu/ viewed 10.07.2006.
- 4.Intelligent Software Agents Lab, at http://www.cs.cmu.edu/∼softagents/ viewed 10.07.2006.
- 5.Oracle Fusion Middleware, at http://www.oracle.com/technology/prod-ucts/middleware/index.html viewed 10.07.206.
- 6.IBM Websphere at http://www-306.ibm.com/software/websphere/ viewed 10.07.2006.
- 7.W3C, “Web Service Description Language, W3C Working Group Note” at http://www.w3.org/TR/wsdl, 2001.03.15.
- 8.OASIS, “UDDI, Advanced Web Services Discovery Standard” at http://www.uddi.org/specification.html, 2004.
- 9.Maryland Information and Network Dynamics Lab Semantic Web Agents Project, “OWL-S API”, at http://www.mindswap.org/2004/owl-s/api/ viewed 10.07.2006.
- 10.W3C, “XML and XML Schema”, at http://www.w3.org/XML/Schema viewed 10.07.2006.
- 11.[W3C, “XSL Transformation”, at http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt viewed 10.07.2006.
- 12.W3C, “Web Ontology Language (OWL)” at http://www.w3.org/2004/OWL/ viewed 10.07.2006.