The Emergency Department Setting
Consultants may be called to an emergency department for a variety of reasons. Most requests are like those from a general hospital ward. However, two issues are notable: a broader definition of psychiatric emergencies and greater concern about patient rights. These issues stem from an emergency department’s lack of a buffer from its surrounding community: patients come as they are, whether pushed, or just so inclined. There is little or no time for patients and emergency department staff to come to any understanding. In this absence of a traditional physician–patient relationship, consultants may be forced to change their usual approach.
KeywordsEmergency Department Medical Illness Conversion Disorder Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus Psychiatric Emergency
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Andrezina R, Josiassen RC, Marcus RN, et al. Intramuscular aripiprazole for the treatment of acute agitation in patients with schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorder: a double-blind, placebo-controlled comparison with intramuscular haloperidol. Psychopharmacology (Berl) 2006;188:281–292.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- American Academy of Emergency Medicine. http://www.aaem.org/emtala/, 2006.
- American Psychiatric Association. Practice guideline for the assessment and treatment of patients with suicidal behaviors. Am J Psychiatry 2003;160(11 suppl):1–60.Google Scholar
- Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. http://www.cms.hhs.gov/MLNEd WebGuide/25_EMDOC.asp, 2006.
- Drugdex® System. http://www.thomsonhc.com. Greenwood Village, CO: Thomson Micromedex, 2006.
- Eli Lilly. http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/safety/2006/Aug_PIs/Zyprexa_PI.pdf, 2006.
- Food and Drug Administration. Rockville, MD: http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/ ANSWERS/2001/ANS01123.html, 2001.
- Food and Drug Administration. Rockville, MD: http://www.fda.gov/cder/drug/antidepressants/default.htm, 2005.
- Food and Drug Administration. Rockville, MD: http://www.fda.gov/cder/drug/InfoSheets/HCP/aripiprazoleHCP.htm, 2006.
- Mayo-Smith MF, Beecher LH, Fischer TL, et al. Working Group on the Management of Alcohol Withdrawal Delirium, Practice Guidelines Committee, American Society of Addiction Medicine. Management of alcohol withdrawal delirium. An evidence-based practice guideline. Arch Intern Med 2004;12(164):1405–1412.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Pfizer Roerig. New York: http://www.fda.gov/ medwatch/safety/2005/aug_PI/ Geodon_PI.pdf, 2005.
- Rund DA, Hutzler JC. Behavioral disorders: emergency assessment. In: Tintinalli JE, Kelen GD, Stapczynski JS, eds. Emergency Medicine: A Comprehensive Study Guide, 6th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill, 2004.Google Scholar
- Tesar GE. The emergency department. In: Rundell JR, Wise MG, eds. Textbook of Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Press, 1996:914–945.Google Scholar