Mechanisms of Metastasis: Seed and Soil
Stephen Paget published in 1889 in The Lancet a paper by the title of “The distribution of secondary growths in cancer of the breast” inspired by the work of Fuchs “Das Sarkom des Uvealtractus” in 1882 published in Graefe’s Archiv Fur Ophthalmologie. Although Fuchs has written previously about the metastatic embolus and its relationship to the recipient tissue, it is Paget who spread the concept of the “seed and soil” that continues to be regarded as a major contribution to the area of cancer metastasis.The “seeds” refer to certain tumor cells with metastatic capability, and the “soil” is any organ or tissue providing a proper environment for growth of the seeds (1). Paget suggested that the spread of metastatic cells was organ specific and not merely anatomic.
KeywordsSentinel Lymph Node Cancer Stem Cell Focal Adhesion Kinase Cancer Metastasis Positive Sentinel Lymph Node
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Ewing J. Neoplastic Diseases. 6th edition. WB Saunders, Philadelphia. 1928.Google Scholar
- 6.Schakert G, Fidler IJ. Site-specific metastasis of mouse melanomas and a fibrosarcoma in the brain or the meninges of syngeneic animals. Cancer Res 48:3478–3484, 1988b.Google Scholar
- 13.Axelson H, Fredlund E, Ovenberger M, Landberg G, Pahlman S. Hypoxia-induced dedifferentiation of tumor cells–a mechanism behind heterogeneity and aggressiveness of solid tumors. Semin Cell Dev Biol. 2005 Aug-Oct;16(4–5):554–63. Epub 2005 Apr 26. Review.Google Scholar
- 21.Overall CM, Kleifeld O. Tumour microenvironment - opinion: validating matrix metalloproteinases as drug targets and anti-targets for cancer therapy. Nat Rev Cancer. 2006 Mar;6(3):227–39. Review.Google Scholar
- 22.Orimo A, Gupta PB, Sgroi DC, Arenzana-Seisdedos F, Delaunay T, Naeem R, Carey VJ, Richardson AL, Weinberg RA. Stromal fibroblasts present in invasive human breast carcinomas promote tumor growth and angiogenesis through elevated SDF-1/CXCL12 secretion. Cell. 2005 May 6;121(3):335–48.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 27.Ruiter DJ, van Krieken JH, van Muijen GN, de Waal RM. Tumour metastasis: is tissue an issue? Lancet Oncol. 2001 Feb;2(2):109–12. Review.Google Scholar
- 37.Cochran AJ, Huang RR, Lee J, Itakura E, Leong SP, Essner R. Tumour-induced immune modulation of sentinel lymph nodes. Nat Rev Immunol. 2006 Sep;6(9):659–70. Review.Google Scholar