Targeted Introduction of Substances into the Lymph Nodes for Endolymphatic Therapy
Lymph node metastases are an important prognostic factor in cancer, irrespective of where the tumour is located. Until today, treatment by surgery or irradiation may be associated with massive side effects so that efficient and safe alternatives are still required. Radical surgery to treat or prevent progressing disease usually involves the removal of the regional lymph nodes, but also of their surrounding tissue and of lymph vessels. The destruction of the adjacent structures is aggravated by the problem of discerning lymph nodes from their surrounding fatty tissue.This poor selectivity leads not only to side effects, such as secondary lymphedema, but also bears the danger to overlook lymph nodes, which increases the risk of nodal recurrence. The dimension of the problem could be demonstrated by post-operative lymphangiograms, depicting the remaining lymph nodes after radical surgery (28).
KeywordsLymph Node Sentinel Lymph Node Lymph System Retroperitoneal Lymph Node Cytostatic Drug
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 7.Gallegos Hernanadez, J.F., Gutierrez, F., Barosso, S. et al: Identification of sentinel lymph node with patent blue V in patients with cutaneous melanoma. Gac. Med. Mex. 134 (1998), 419-422Google Scholar
- 8.Gennari, R., Soldt, H.S., Bartolomei, M. et al: Sentinel node localization: A new prospective in the treatment of nodal melanoma metastases. Intl. J. Oncol. 15 (1999), 25-32Google Scholar
- 15.Hirnle, P., Heide, P.E.: Iodinated emulsions of cytostatic agents for combined diagnostic and therapeutic lymphography. In: Casley-Smith, J.R., Piller, N.B. (eds.) Progress in Lymphology, University of Adelaide Press (1985), 279-281Google Scholar
- 16.Hirnle, P., Jaroni, H., Schmidt, K.-H.: Endolymphatic application of liposomes containing bleomycin in rabbits. In: Casley-Smith, J.R., Piller, N.B. (eds.) Progress in Lymphology, University of Adelaide Press (1986), 276-278Google Scholar
- 21.Kinmonth, J.B.: The lymphatics. Surgery, lymphography and disease of the chyle and lymph system. Edward Arnold 1982Google Scholar
- 25.Nickel, R., Schummer, A., Seiferle, E.: Lehrbuch der Anatomie der Haustiere. Parey, Berlin, Hamburg (1976)Google Scholar
- 28.Piver, M.S., Wallace, S., Castro, J.R.: The accuracy of lymphangiography in carcinoma of the uterine cervix. American Journal of Roentgenology 111 (1971), 278Google Scholar
- 35.Wilhelm, A.J., Mijnhout, G.S., Franssen, E.J.F.: Radiopharmaceuticals in sentinel lymph node detection - an overview.Eur. J. Nucl. Med. 26 (1999), 36-42Google Scholar